Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Better to build and boost a beta1 or beta2 ?

Old 11-10-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: accent
Default Better to build and boost a beta1 or beta2 ?

I have a turbo beta1 swapped accent but I have found a 01 cheap elantra with 85k which have the beta2 and I've heard the head is defenetly better than beta1. I'd like to know if they sell forged pistons and rods oversize valves and all that good stuff for the beta2. Also which block is better. Any info would help.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:48 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

Yes all that stuff is available for the beta 2.

I use to have a Beta 1 head but swapped to a Beta 2 in order to have solid lifters but both engines are excellent for boost and are nearly physically identical, minus some small differences. I am using Beta 1 Ferrea valve springs/seats/retainers in my Beta 2 head.

all 2.0 rods/crank/pistons are the same, the Beta 1 uses a return fuel system while Beta 2 is returnless, changes in intake manifold and idle valve design from one to the other...lots of little things however mainly the same engine.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I thought the beta2 crank was a bit different, but the changes were an attempt to reduce NVH? Might not mean anything for boosting an engine.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:35 PM

Vehicle: accent

Okay thanks I think I'll go ahead and start with a beta 2 seen as the head is solid lifter and I've heard the ports a bigger and flows better. Also I wouldn't mind the aluminum oil pan as well.