Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Transmission, Clutches, Shifters (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/transmission-clutches-shifters-30/)
-   -   What makes extreme clutches bad to have in a daily driver? (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/transmission-clutches-shifters-30/what-makes-extreme-clutches-bad-have-daily-driver-62732/)

Furious21 07-06-2011 02:28 PM

What makes extreme clutches bad to have in a daily driver?

I see ads for performance clutches that can handle up to 600 horsepower but they say they are for track cars only. How come you cant have an extreme clutch for a daily driver or for a car where you'll be in traffic alot? Are they just harder to push in than non extreme ones?

WytchDctr 07-06-2011 05:02 PM

Very annoying to drive at slow speed. Either grabbing to fast and trying to kill the car or chattering like crazy. Some of the extreme stuff has a solid disc, no sprung cushion thing. Sort of makes it an off on switch instead of something that grabs and goes.

Not many of the uber clutches are out there for an accent, what are you looking at getting?

Tibbi 07-06-2011 06:46 PM

I'll contest to the "on/off"ness. Put a full metallic clutch in the 944 and afterwards it was like a toggle. Great fun at the track or on empty roads but in real traffic it's murderous

Turboron_99 07-06-2011 07:19 PM

I got a boost tiburon and i had to swap to a push clutch i am running a competition clutch stage 5 for a non turbo dsm. And then i got it tied to a 7lb fidanza! Thing grabs and for being a "race" only i can street it. I do spin alot of tires trying to street and i do stall occationally. But if u need a race u need one!!! Unfortunately clutchs that hold alot of POWA are hard to come by!!

'treezy 07-06-2011 09:42 PM

Same reason dry sex sucks. friction.

/drunk posting

wheel_of_steel 07-07-2011 10:19 PM

if your car needs X hp to get it moving, it must rev to Y rpm to produce that HP. with a normal clutch, it will slip and gradually get the car moving while the engine is producing the required power. a performance clutch wants to eliminate slip (that is just going to waste power) as much as possible. this means that you transmit all of the X hp required to get the car moving at once, making the car jerk away. there's also the aforementioned issues of clutch chatter (you try and slip it, it smashes its head against the flywheel, repeatedly), dust, stiff pedals, and unintentional peeling out.

tbh its not as bad as it sounds, you just drive the car differently.

JonGTR 07-08-2011 06:33 AM

I've had all kinds of clutches. It boils down to knowing what clutch you need for the power you have, and how often you'll be in bumper to bumper traffic. Luckily I don't get that too much here.

Don't get a stage 5 just so you can brag about it to your friends. It's not worth it.

optimoprime 07-08-2011 08:08 AM

they dont last as long as standard clutchs either. i love the act 6puck but it only ever lasts for 12-18 months. i went through 3 of them before i switched back to stock disk. i will say i prefer the feel of a aftermarket clutch. stock setups have no feel to them.

Tak82 04-11-2012 07:20 PM

most clutches depend on type of driving you do and the amount of power your car has or will have.

if it's for street and city driving but nothing related to extreme racing or competition use, a disc style clutch disc with damper springs is recommended.

or if its competition or hard launches..racing clutch's are obvious choice as they have solid hubs with no damper springs and are for track use only,

most racing clutches are like racing tires, great bite but shorter life compared to street clutches..you will know when the clutch is on its last leg when you start hearing the rivets scrapping on the flywheel and leaving a nice score groove on the flywheel.

Regit 04-15-2012 07:30 AM

I use a 4 puck stage 4, its a lil tricky daily driving,but once you get used to it its ok.