Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

So were did this rumor start?

Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Turbo Elantra
Default So were did this rumor start?

So I was listening to a guy who was working on his car and he was listing off his mod list,

BOV, Stage 3 clutch, guages, other pointles mods.

Thinking back I remember always hearing people talking about stage X clutches. A guy beats another guy simply because he has a stage 3 clutch amoung his pitiful mod list versus the guy with the well balanced mod list.

Were did this idea come from? I have herd it spread all over the tuner culture. Always by people who are by no means well versed in the ways of engine stuff. I'm sure the BOV and clutch made him hit 12's, and the stock clutch couldn't handle a cat-back or CAI.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:34 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

its funny how even clutch companies are going away with "stage" clutches now
Old 07-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

I have no idea what you are trying to say..

the 'stages' on a clutch typically relate to the engagement of it, full/puc or sprung/unsprung.

I would consider a stage '3' clutch to be a 4 puck, sprung since it would be two stages harsher and probably grippier than a full face..

My 'simple' list would go like this

S1 - full face, sprung

S2 - 6 puck, sprung

S3 - 4 puck, sprung

S4 - 6 puck, unsprung

S5 - 4 puck, unsprung

Some people would consider it different.. there are also different materials and treatements for a clutch. People like the 'stage' badging because it really shows that they have an upgraded (staged) something.

a harsher clutch WILL engage quicker, which would net quicker shifts and quicker 'on power'. Does someone need a 'stage 3' clutch with typical bolt-on mods? No way.. Will the clutch engage quicker than a stock clutch, most likely.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:52 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

It's an annoying neon-ism to me. Iirc SFR were selling staged NA performance kits for accents a couple of years ago...