Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

M/T owners -- how do you drive in stop and go traffic

Old 04-16-2013, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 3.8
Default M/T owners -- how do you drive in stop and go traffic

Sometimes owning an M/T can be a pain in the ass when you have to deal with stop and go traffic. I was wondering how some of you drive when you come upon it?

- Ride the clutch (partially pressed in) and shift out of 1st gear to neutral and back to first gear, right foot above brake

- Keep car in 1st, let clutch complety out, drive forward with clutch fully out, right foot above brake

- Wait for enough room to drive forward in 1st or 2nd gear with left foot above clutch and coast to a stop in neutral with right foot above brake

Any other way? I know the first way (riding the clutch) will be burn out your clutch the quickest.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I never had a problem, and never understood what the fuss about being stuck in traffic was all about. If anything, it's worse with an automatic because you have to keep your foot on the brake at all times if you're not in neutral whereas with manual you just pop in neutral like you regularly would, the brake is lighter, or handbrake.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:13 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I've never had to over think it like that. I'm of the HKC camp, I think being in traffic in a manual is the preferred method over auto.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

the valvectomy mod for our clutch slave cylinders works against us in stop and go traffic, oh well..i just take it in stride and always start moving in 1st gear..moving in 2nd puts more wear the clutch disc.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I like to "play the accordion"

You have a minimum and a maximum allowed distance to the car in front. When the car in front starts to pull away, you do nothing until they exceed your maximum allowed distance. Only then do you start to accelerate and match their speed. When the car in front then starts to brake, you do nothing until they enter your minimum allowed distance. Then you engine brake, then actually brake if they are still stopped.

This works to damp out the tiny, jerky movements of peak hour. It also avoids you riding your brakes and clutch, and just roll along at an average speed. Can't remember where I learnt that trick but it works ridiculously well.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:42 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^I do the same. It's nonsense to stop go stop go when you can ease off.

I've never had to over think it like that. I'm of the HKC camp, I think being in traffic in a manual is the preferred method over auto.
Why thank you kind sir! My camp... err, fort will treat you well but we are a tad short-staffed. If you could bring a few chicks with you that would be generous .
Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Find an 18 wheeler, roll very slowly through the mess behind them.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

driving stick in traffic is one thing but dealing with a super stiff clutch pedal is another pain.

i driven m/t mazda 6's that have such a stiff pedal that i ask the owner if their left limb is more built than their left.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:08 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by HyundaiKitCoupe
If you could bring a few chicks with you that would be generous .
I could bring a few across the lake from camp autoslush, but that might taint the men.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

My clutch leg gets a workout with a stage 4 in city traffic,but, I get to hear my blow off valve pshhhhhhhh more !!