Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

humming from trans?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon
Default humming from trans?

my car has developed a humming noise-... it sounds like it's a wheel bearing but I've checked each wheel 4x and they all check out. I thought it was a warped rotor but instead found a hole in the cv boot-... rotors and axel were replaced w/ new parts. brakes move freely and new tires have been balanced properly. this problem still persists.

I noticed tonight that when the car is jacked up in neutral (manual trans) and I turn the individual wheels all but the driver side spin freely. the driver side has a point of resistance as it turns and it makes a grinding squeaking noise it definitely takes more effort. the trans has 272k on it. the clutch and flywheel were replaced 100k ago.

is it time for a new trans?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Sounds like one of the end bearings on the diff are done. You could just have the trans gone trough and replace that bearing, but for the same money, or less, you can probably get a good used tranny with much lower mileage.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I had a hum/whine from my automatic for several months before converting to the manual trans. I took the auto apart for grins when the conversion was done. It had pieces of broken needle bearing in the pan along with gray & black goo. I think the hum was from a chip/ding on Every Single Tooth on the final drive ring gear. It had a ring of dings around the gear. It still shifted & drove ok though. You can learn a lot from dropping the transmission pan. In my case it would have told me it was time to change transmissions but that was already planned, thank God.