Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Hitting the Redline. Is it bad?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tiburon GT
Default Hitting the Redline. Is it bad?

I recall hearing people say this. Since I drive granny style daily, I should try to rev the engine high, like at redline once in a while. It helps to break up some of the carbon deposits, etc, etc.

True or false?

If true, should it be done with no engine load, like in N?

I also read that over-reving can be bad for an engine. Like it can bend valves. One would also say, how can that be? Engine have electronic cut-offs. And yet, there are guys that miss a shift (like 6th to 3rd, instead of 5th) that would cause the engine to over-rev.

Educate me.

TIA.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It won't hurt anything, but it was definitely more helpful for engine cleaning in the era of (compared to today) poor quality oil, piston rings, and carburetors. Unless you already had a problem, hitting the redline every once in a while only means you will experience the rev limiter once in a while.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Hitting the redline/rev limiter isn't going to give you any problems. Sometimes I will ride it for several seconds when doing autocross.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

if u downshift like that even with no fuel of spark the engine is still gonna rev to like 9-12krpm...

theres a video online of an integra diong an endo because he put it back into 1st instead of 3rd, needless to say it was toast!

edit: if redlining did damage those guys with crotch rockets wouldnt redline in neutral all the time
Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The video is epic, but it is not what is being discussed. WAY back in the day, you would occasionally want to bake the crap off your intake valves by running your engine at high speed. This is not the same as grabbing 1st at redline.