Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

GK transmission question

Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default GK transmission question

After installing the LSD in my spare GK transmission and putting everything back together you can't turn the input shaft by hand. I know the problem but I'm just not sure if this is the way it's supposed to be. The old RD transmission didn't have this "reverse cone" and until I put the last cover on you could turn it by hand, in fact I turned the input shaft to line up the reverse cone so i could put the case back on.

you can see what I'm talking about here - http://youtu.be/9GjP2tMLVbQ?t=13m6s

So I think this is the way these transmissions are I just don't want to put it all together and it brake something as soon as I start it up.

edit:

Crap, well at least I caught the error, not sure how to fix it yet but I just noticed that in the video he can turn the cone independent of the input shaft. - [media]http://youtu.be/9GjP2tMLVbQ?t=17m25s[/media]
Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

update:

In case anyone stumbles upon this post with the same problem. I switched the 5th and reverse synchronizer (top and bottom brass bit), they look the same but the 5th gear synchronizer (bottom one) is a little thicker. That little bit of extra thickness stopped the reverse cone from spinning freely since it was now pinched between the washer and the synchronizer... now I've got to get more grey RTV. doh!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Glad you got it figured out.

And wicked jealous of the LSD.