Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Gearing

Old 07-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 00 Tiburon
Default Gearing

I have done a ton searching on here and on the net and its next to impossible to find any shops that offer different gears for a beta transmission. If I wanted better gearing, is my only option to go with an elantra tranny for a better 5th gear only? You would think there would be some type of aftermarket support from a company that has better gears. Look at all the race tibbys in Korea. You cant tell me that they are all using the stock gears. My uncle runs a transmission shop so he would be doing the work and installing the better gears if I could find them.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Vehicle: Tiburon 2001

the only trans i ve seen that offers some better performance for an NA application is the 2003 i4 tib trans and its only because it has a 4.05 final drive, thats about it

some people down here put in x3 accents trans on their betas because they say gears are shorter but i dont see the gain because the final drive is smaller than a tib
Old 07-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The gears are that strong, and the market is that small, you will be hard-pressed to find someone making a custom gear set that does not involve a full custom gearbox.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I believe there was a company called MTec or something in Korea that sold all kinds of gearing for us. Had an LSD too. But even during the RD's prime, I don't recall anyone shelling out the cash for gearing.

I would think a transmission shop would know the brand of transmission the Tib uses and could cross-reference it to other model cars that use it. Perhaps they had better gearing.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:19 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Just throwing it out there, it would be a ton of work and some parts may not be compatible but a.) you have a transmission shop at your disposal b.) this will still cost less than any aftermarket app.

If you are willing to put some time into a good build, finding the correct shafts and desired gears from accents, tibs, elantras, ext. mated them with desired final drive I don't see any reason why the original casing wouldn't support any of the above. Hardly my expertise but it seems logical especially if you want to drop some bones one a custom build. Correct me if this isn't possible
Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Do a search on webtech and you'll find gear ratios for all models/years.

Print them all out, and give them to your uncle. Maybe he can help build you something.