Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Gear Ratio Dilemma for Boost

Old 04-13-2016, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon
Default Gear Ratio Dilemma for Boost

Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide which gear ratios / final drive ratio I should go for when building my trans to handle a little boost.

I have the 2.0 beta II turbo'ed and the gearbox will be built to handle 500+whp.

The stock tib gear ratios:

What do you think of these ratios? Same FDR as the stock tib but longer gears... Is this good, crazy or stupid for road use?

All comments much appreciated
Old 04-14-2016, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Totally depends on your expected power output and what you plan on doing with the car.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by 187sks
Totally depends on your expected power output and what you plan on doing with the car.

Well my new build should be a 500whp monster :-)

Usage wise it will be primarily road use and I do a fair amount of long distance driving. I occasionally do a few runs down the drag strip for a laugh but only like 4-5 times a year. Other than that I do the occasional track day, usually 3-4 mile circuits so full throttle then hard on the brakes, proper car killer style.

I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of having longer gears for a daily drive...
Old 04-14-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

You've got 3 different types of cars now. Street, strip, and track. Neither require the same setup, or the same gear ratios.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:17 PM

True, I suppose I have but just because I use it for all 3 doesn't mean it's good at all 3.

In order of the most important to me :

1. Road use (comfortable sitting @ 80mph for hours on end)

2. Having some fun on the race track

3. Looking like a fool trying to leave the green light @ santa pod whilst burning up a set of tyres in the first 60 foot.

It would be nice to lower the rpms in 5th gear at 80mph but other than that I just want to go with gears that are best suited for the power I'm making. I guess a stock 500hp car would have longer gears than a stock 100hp car...
Old 04-15-2016, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 1997 Beta Swapped Accent

You dont have a lot of option with Beta trannys, I would use one out an Elantra with 3.65 FDR is you travel a lot at 80 miles an hour.