Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

a bad slave cylinder cause clutch noise probs??

Old 07-15-2011, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default a bad slave cylinder cause clutch noise probs??

does a bad slave cylinder cause clutch noise probs?

theres a loud metal to metal noise when starting and going into reverse since i installed other than that it grips well

is it coming from the clutch release bearing? it almost sounds like metal is going to snap

i can clearly hear it, as if it is sychronizing with the starter and flywheel teeth.. maybe the starter is installed slightly incorrect? this is a rd1 1997 tiburon and the flywheel was NOT resurfaced.. i didnt think it needed to be. i really had to take a sh*t.. i had no clue that a slave cylinder could cause that kind of sound if not bled properly???
Old 07-15-2011, 09:49 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

If the slave cylinder was not bleed it would have a very light peddle feel, as the air would compress before the Hydraulic fluid would travel.

Also IF you hearing Metal Grinding, I want to say if you just did a clutch job, the culprit may possibly be the TOB when you installed the bearing on the fork and assemble the transmission to the block, did you put the lever back on on to the fork and push it with your hand to see/Feel the TOB actually seat into the pressure plate??

Also for future reference if you spend the time and money doing a clutch job take the extra 45 minutes 25 dollars to get it resurfaced, the new clutch will mate to a non surfaced one, just more chance of it slipping from in proper break in, and or, the condition of the flywheel and amounts of hot spots that were on the flywheel. Hot spots will have alot less grip than the non baked parts of the flywheel, and more than likely will cause the new disc to slip prematurely!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

if its reverse gear only, it might not be the TOB. the noise would happen in all gears. the flywheel only spins one way in ALL gears.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:06 AM

i followed the procedure from the youtube video, as the TOB or clutch release bearing would simply snap in the clutch when installed and bolted onto the engine block, it should of fit in snug n fine, when i opened the clutch kit i fit on the clutch release bearing, it normally chattered on the splines of the pressure plate as it if needed different fitment, i knew this would happen but it came with the kit, regular factory assembly clearences (once bolted on) should of corrected the over extension of the clutch release fork
Old 07-16-2011, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Loneshark
if its reverse gear only, it might not be the TOB. the noise would happen in all gears. the flywheel only spins one way in ALL gears.

I thought about it to, but if you think about it, there is only slippin when you start moving like in first or reverse. Like my comp clutch chatters only when starting off or attempting to reverse! So that gave me reason to say TOB. I was thinking maybe the TOB never snapped to the PP and that would leave it able to jump around if there was chatter or mainly when SLIPPIN the clutch to reverse or start off.

Also i know the flywheel only spins one way! Yet you SHOULD only slip the clutch when start and reversing, further proving my point as is you slip any other time! Your doing it wrong!

Will you reach down and give the lever a wiggle, you will be able to feel and hear it. The lever should have little to no travel and a clinky sound like tin!
Old 07-16-2011, 02:44 AM

Only other thing i can think of is a Disc installed backwards. Which i have seen. But the noise is extremly raw and loud!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:33 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

ok wait, so is it first and reverse, or just first ??? if its both those gears then yea, your TOB is either bent and the arms are hitting the clutch face or the bearings themselves are worn and the noise is the jiggle of it on the shaft.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:47 PM

the car takes off like nothin once put into 1st, it makes the grinding sound when starting the car when flywheel cranks forward and when first shifting into reverse, i caan get a feel for the clutch pedal and avoikd the sound if i press cautiously down, couldnt his be a gas issue? say, like.. it sat for over a month on an empty tank... maybe just not enough spin.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:50 PM

sounds good.. but suppose the .clutch dis is installed backwards. which way is the correct placement way?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:13 PM

The side of the disk that's raised is suppose to face the flywheel!