Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

1998 tiburon, automatic, occasional slipping,

Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon
Default 1998 tiburon, automatic, occasional slipping,

Hey guys!

I bought a 1998 4 cyl / 1.8l automatic tiburon with 137k on the clock a few months back and I absolutely love it. it's in great shape minus 2 small issues with the transmission:

1) very shortly after I bought it, it started slipping around the 3rd to 4th gear change. It happened twice, both times on the freeway, generally during normal acceleration. letting off the gas and allowing it to downshift and then hitting the gas again would kick it back into gear both times.

2) it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd, and shifts hard from 2nd to 1st. it does this all the time and is independent of the couple times it slipped all together.

after the 2nd time it slipped entirely, it started choking a bit and popped the check engine light on. the codes it threw were:

PO748=Pressure Control Solenoid A

PO747=Pressure Control Solenoid Stuck On

PO743=TCC Solenoid Circuit

PO121=TPS A Circuit

I had a local shop take a look at it and they said the grounding harness was badly corroded, so they cleaned it up, cleared the codes, and it drove fine (but still exhibited issue #2) for about 4 weeks until it slipped again on the highway. I'm thinking the grounding harness wasn't the problem after all, and it was just luck that it didn't slip again immediately afterwards. No check engine light has popped since though, and it's only slipped entirely 1 time since then, but I'd rather address it before it becomes a full on rebuild issue if I can, since I can't really afford that right now.

I drive it easy, and make sure I brake easy, slow/steady acceleration, rarely use overdrive unless I'm forced to in a passing situation, etc.

I'm thinking the solenoid packs are on their way out, but I'm curious if anyone has any other thoughts. Anyone have any experience using something like Lucas A/T Stop Slip? I've read mixed reviews on it, and I'm not sure it'd actually help if it is the solenoid packs, but I'm thinking for $10 it may not hurt to try in case it isn't.

I'd love to hear some input from other folks. I love this car.

Oh, and I've already flushed the ATF with Hyundai dealer recommended ATF. The fluid was slightly burnt smelling when I bought the car; not horrible, but definitely needed changing. I didn't actually fully flush either, just drained and refilled until it came out clear and good looking.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

Oops, it's actually the 2.0l 4 cyl, not 1.8, but I don't think it matters since I'm pretty sure the tranny's are the same either way.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:59 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I've always heard that once a Hyundai tib automatic starts to slip, the cheapest way to fix it permenantly is to swap it out.

You are right about the anti-slip additives not doing anything if it's the noid pack failing.

The tcc noid and the line pressure one both going bonk at the same time makes me lean towards either the valve pack, or the TCM/it's wiring.

The TPS one was likely due to the bad ground.

Maybe a manual swap is in this cars future? It's a possibility that is worth considering.