Hyundai/KIA RSS Feeds RSS Feeds and News Links From Around The World...

ab-b 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe caught undisguised ahead of Chicago debut

Old 01-20-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai
Default ab-b 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe caught undisguised ahead of Chicago debut

Filed under: Spy Photos, Coupe, Budget, Hyundai

Here it is, ladies and gents - the 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe. The svelte new two-door will make its official debut at the 2012 Chicago Auto Show in just a few weeks, but our intrepid spy photographers managed to catch this completely uncovered prototype on the back of a flatbed truck.

Not surprisingly, the new coupe relies heavily on the same Fluidic Sculpture design language of the award-winning sedan, though subtle tweaks have been made to give the two-door a bit more sporting flare. The foglight housings appear larger and more angular, giving the front end a slightly more aggressive appearance. Out back, a small lip spoiler has been added to the rear deck that both enhances the swoopy profile shape of the Elantra and adds another element of style to the rear end.

As we reported earlier, the Elantra Coupe will get a sport-minded SE trim level, and all in, Hyundai hopes that the coupe will account for 20 percent of all Elantra sales. We'll have the full details in just a few weeks, but scroll through our gallery of spy shots to see naked coupe from all angles.2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe caught undisguised ahead of Chicago debut originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

View the full article
Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

It's got a dent! lol.

looks like a Honda Civic Coupe. Right down to the rims themselves. Weird how it's trying to be bold and innovative but at the same time conservative and ordinary (like the Honda). That doesn't play well with me. It's got to be one or the other but not both.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Awful. Just plain awful. What a bore. The KIA forte coupes offer so much more styling. I think I'll stick with the RD a bit longer.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:02 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I think it has potential, but I agree that it is too conservative. I guess they don't want to interfere with the sales of the Veloster.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Seriously a dent on an uncovered car seen in public before the show? What n00b would let something like that happen?

The car, I actually like. Not enough to buy, but I like it. Don't see the point, considering the other models they have out . . .
Old 01-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I won't buy either, but I would buy this over the Elantra sedan.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:53 PM

Seriously a dent on an uncovered car seen in public before the show? What n00b would let something like that happen?

Pay me $20/hr I will do a better job.

I won't buy either, but I would buy this over the Elantra sedan.

Why so? Insurance/fuel economy is probably the same.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Because I don't like sedans. There are very few which appeal to me. And I seriously don't need 4 doors. It would be even better if it was a hatch though.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:00 PM

^I don't either!! At all. Design-wise, it makes absolutely no sense. Sedans are only there to make commuting/grocery go-getting more practical. Wagons and hatchbacks are the way to go.

I hate to say this about BMW, but I really really love their double door solution (with minor complaints like sharp door edges, which a f*ing kid can poke their eye out on):

It doesn't look like the Elantra Coupe would be a hatchback. And I'm really upset that the Elantra Touring will also be a hatchback instead of a wagon. To me, that's a downgrade from the 1996 model, which is why the very BEST Elantra is the current i30-based Elantra Touring (designed in Russelsheim).
Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Administrator

I have always hated double doors. I hate using them. But, it's too low for a top opening door, and a single side swing door requires a bulky heavy duty mechanism. I'd prefer a lift window and a fold down tailgate, but I don't think people would like that on a car.