External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Scoote Hood Review.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:46 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The Scoote hood which I received had a few problems. I'm going to outline the installation difficulties involved in this hood.

Difficulty: 9 out of 10 for perminant custom work required.

I got into a wreck and needed a new hood. I found a scoote hood for $250 on e-bay. It was the best deal I'd ever seen on the hood. It was the hood I always wanted. I saw it on SOCKS car and fell in love. The hood has 6 heat extractor vents and a molded in scoop which goes with the car. I loved the look. So when I got it, I sent it to the paint shop and slapped the sucker on the car.

As you can see the hood was kind of flat and not as curved as it should be. So, it needed hood pins.

I first tried the locking hood pins from e-bay . They were cheap, about $20 shipped. They were very difficult to lock into place because there are no flat areas on the tib's hood. I then purchased $100 AeroCatch hood pins. They work beautifully.

In order to install them, alot of room under the hood was required to get a wrench on the hood pins

But the difficulties were not over yet. There was not enough clearance for the hood because my engine is too big nana.gif . Just kidding... that's just what I tell people.

Some dimensional adjustments were needed to keep the hood from hitting on the valve cover and spark cover.

I repainted the covers, added my new factory tuned sticker, then clearcoated over the top.

The hood lifters I tried to install would not sit right either. They required a different mounting. The manufacturer recommended location had to be changed because the hood sits lower on the inside of the engine bay. This caused the hood struts to bang against the strut tower when I closed the hood. So, I repositioned them. The lower mount was moved up to the edge and the upper was moved and equal distance from the recommended location

Also, the scoop was not functional.

I filled the edges with foam and sealed with silicone to make a good wind tunnel at high speeds.

You can see the black entry vent which I placed on the hood under the emissions control labels in this picture. It directs the air from the scoop onto the fuel rail and intake manifold. The white spots in this picture are the emission control labels usually found on the radiator support at the front of the hood. I really wanted them back because they show the spark gap settings smile.gif

Even at idle, the fans draw air into the scoop. If I hold a lighter in front of the vent, the air is pulled in nicely.

The hood pins work great.

I contacted the company which makes the Scoote hood, and they told me to take pictures and they would try to make things right. I decided that I had put enough work into this hood that I really didn't want to redo it all. They were willing to work with me though. After everything was said and done, the car looks great and the hood is functional.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

might be a small thing but if you don't want to paint youre hood pins all the time with magic marker or rattle can you can take them out and let them soak in red devil lye. the lye will take the red anodizing out of the pin, leaving the pin shiny. I know you are anal as me with little aspects of your car, thought i might throw that one out.

sux about the hood hitting the engine and spark plug cover. did SOCKS have that problem?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:25 PM
DTN

Actually, I damaged my paint on the pins with a pair of plyers right before I took that pic. Usually it's plastic on paint contact, which does not cause any noticable wear on the high temp flat black paint I used. The plyers really messed it up though. I'll repaint them and it should be fine.

Socks said he didn't have any of those problems.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:05 PM

I see also you had a problem with the aerohood bolts and nuts since you didnt use the countersunk head bolts that are supplied with the pins. I contacted the manufacturer about the bolt circle being too close the body and that moving them out even 1/16" would solve that problem.

you couldn't get the nuts on all the bolts using the countersunk bolts correct? I took a die grinder to the plastic nearest the holes and grooved them out big enough so the nut would go on with a shorty wrench.

i supplied pics to the manufacturer, hopefully the bolts holes are not in the mold and they are drilled later on.

but you would think that paying for 100 dollar hood pins, them fvckewrs would be perfect you know?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:23 PM
DTN

My aerocatch pins only came with the bolts that are on there now. I think the countersunk ones are on the flush mount. I didn't have the problem you are describing. I don't understand exactally what you're talking about.

My installation went like this, I picked a good spot on the hood, lined everything up perfectly, cut out a large hole, trimmed it up, made bolt holes, then held the nuts with a right angle pair of plyers while I turned the hex head screws into place. After that, I marked a spot straight through the hood pin hole, drilled and secured the anchor, then adjusted everything for perfection.

I didn't encounter any problems except the screw heads rusted and I had to paint it later.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:22 PM

hmmm, maybe that is there fix now for the bolts was to change from countersunk to flush mount style like you have, interesting.

anyways, looks like a good install. i made brackets for my pins that sit behind the headlights but mine are basically in the same spot as yours.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:52 PM
DTN

I just chopped the extra thread off. I had considered making a bracket initially, but I didn't really see a point because there's room above the headlamps.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:37 PM

Sounds like your hood is better than mine. The vent tore up my spark plug cover. The thing still has huge gaps on the side which look like shit. Your hood pins work good, I'll have to try that idea.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Banned

the only thing that was rubbing on my tib was the air ram to the bottom of the hood.. the air ram sits higher and farther back than the stock IM, and with the 1" fuel spacer, it was pushed back more.

although, i never put a spark plug cover on mine, so it may have been touching the spark plug wires.

the only thing that bugged me about the scoote hood on my tib was the side gaps, but even my 600$ CF hood has more side gap then stock, just not as much as the scoote.

i was just glad the fitment in general was good and along the front bumper line was also good.

the gaps can be partially fixed as DTN did with the pins, since for w/e reason the hood id bowed up. since they make these so cheap they might be taken out of the mold too soon or something and it bows up.

i wasn't worried about hood pins or looks at the time (since everything was in progress)

the hood still gets a B+ in my book for how cheap it was/is and its functionality.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:53 PM

Vehicle: 2000 carbon tiburon

Looks good to bad the company that created the original is no longer in business im sure there fitment would have been better. The flared hood i have from gtp fits perfect.