Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clutchnet....round 2!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I finally got around to pulling the VERY short lived solid hub disc that all the sudden blew up on the other side of town. I doubt I got 1000 miles on it. Maybe 600.
As a recap, I first used a sprung hub which eventually lost its springs just like the Spec. So I figured, why not go with a solid hub this time? Right?

So what happened?

Here's what it should look like:

Here's mine. See anything missing (or shaved) from it?

I have a LOT of anger stored right now, so I think I'll let it out on Clutchnet tomorrow. Nope, I'm not going to use their crap again.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

Damn dude, I run the ole' girl hard every once and awhile, but lord.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

HOLY WTF?! You beat the hell out of that clutch! I've never seen that before!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM

Like I said, I never got 1000 miles out of it. It never saw the track, and I never dropped the clutch or burned out. The worst it had seen was hard shifting while already moving. This is just shitty quality.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:16 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

looks like the spline job wasn't hardened enough
how does the transmission input shaft looks?,does it measure ok next to another one?

slap a act solid disc in it,so far never had much problem with their products,clutcnet on the other side i've had mixed experience with them
Old 01-08-2008, 05:07 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Holy shyt!!!

Even if he was beating the crap out of it, the spline section should be the last thing to go. I wonder if that is aluminum to save rotational mass, see if a magnet sticks to it.

I am a loyal customer of clutchmasters.

I got in on importsharks deal (check their section - it may still be available), and scooped up a stage IV 6 puck sprung hub for $440 shipped. Retail is $572 so it was def. a good deal, and you get what you pay for. I don't have it installed yet as fidanza friction surfaces have been backordered for 2 months from summit for the tib (purchased it on 11/29/07!). I am also waiting for money to purchase a quaife before I pull the trans out so. But I can tell you that the stage 1 clutchmasters I had was as good or better than the stage III ebay gripforce 6 puck sprung. Might want to try clutchmasters if you haven't already.

I'll bet they offer you a free replacement instead of a refund. That totally blows man.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:07 AM

I'll use a caliper on the spline when I get home. But it didn't look chewed up or anything.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:44 AM

Damn dude. That's the 2nd worst thing I've ever seen happen to any clutch! Someone owes you big time. See if you can get it replaced under a warranty, and get some cash for having to R&R the transaxle again.

That's some serious torque if you're popping springs and shaving splines.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:03 AM

Alright, I think I found out what happened. If any of you remember, when I first got the solid hub disc, the hub was too tall and would stick out/through the center of the pressure plate. It wouldn't allow the TOB to engage. When I talked to Clutchent, they said they "forgot" to machine the hub down to fit it. Yes, the plate was not designed for our car.

Well, it just so happened that a local guy saw my post and offered to trade his ACT Stage 4 for a stock clutch kit, because he no longer planned to mod the car. And he needs a clutch. So I get to trade him the badass ACT kit for a stock kit, and the catch is that I need to help him install it. Not a bad deal at all.

I got the ACT installed, but when I compared the hubs, what I found was that Clutchnet machined the hub TOO MUCH! It's almost half as long as the ACT. Idiots!
There was most likely not enough surface area along the spline for the support it needs and stripped.

The height difference
Old 01-15-2008, 06:05 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

wow ur not havimng any kind of luck at all man.