Other Hyundai Models Forum All Hyundai Forum. Discuss all other Hyundai models here that not listed anywhere else, such as the Hyundai Pony and Hyundai Scoupe!

Tom's s-coupe turbo

Old 11-03-2011, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo
Default Tom's s-coupe turbo

It has been months in the making, but that's right folks - here is my new project: the s-coupe turbo. I've been searching for close to a year for 'the one' and this is it. I'll let the photos do the talking for now:

The good points:

-Zero rust on the C pillars, window seals and quarter panels (s-coupe hot spots for rust)

-only cost five hungies all up

-new alternator, relays and computer

-Obviously, boost

The bad points

-The interior is fairly ratty. Everything is present but not correct. Needs a working immobiliser and a bit of trim re-construction

-It is not registered

-White smoke out the tail pipe while on boost

-It was actually owned by crack heads. It has not received much love for a long time.

-Rust around the base of the spoiler

-The paint is in pretty bad condition, the clear on the roof and bumper is gone. The rear bumper is rooted as well.

Driving impressions: Ignoring the problems of the individual car for a second, it drives damn nicely. The handling is taught, I like the shock and spring combo that they used. The steering is very quick, only about 2.5 turns lock to lock, but I didn't measure this. The power is interesting, it actually pulls somewhat like the beta accent, except with turbo lag. The turbo takes a sec to spool, but it is making full noise by about 2500 rpm. This comes as a kick in the back, it pulls nicely to around 4000 rpm, then it naturally tapers off by about 5500. It doesn't have the top end of the beta LC. I can't comment on the brakes, as this car is in dire need of a bleeding. I can tickle the firewall braking with traffic... Also, the front seats are goddamn amazing. Very adjustable and supportive all the way through, I stepped out of the car after a two hour journey and felt fine. Definitely love the seats/driving position.

So yeah, that about sums it up. I am aiming to do a complete restoration and do NO modifications. Afaik only 70 of these were imported into australia, so rather than molest it via body kits and bright paint - I shall do the opposite. I'll do my best to do a concours level of restoration. I'd like to rebuild the engine with new rings, bearings, head studs and valve stem seals. It does have almost 260k on it. I'll also be rebuilding the stock turbo. The interior is not too bad, but it shall all be steam cleaned and the trim will all work perfectly. The suspension is in good condition, but the FR damper is squeaky. Shall come up with a plan of attack at a more relevant time.

Those are the nice photos, now here is a m-m-montage of some of the annoying crap that needs fixing. Thankfully none of it looks insurmountable, but still...

And yes, that is a defect notice. I got it ten minutes after purchasing the car. We'd already pulled over because we were very lost, then the police just rocked up. Apparently the police saw us go past, followed by a trail of smoke. Anyway, I showed him the movement permit, licence, purchase receipt and vehicle papers. Both officers raised their eyebrows when I told them it was a rare car...

Anyways, they sat in their car for upwards of twenty minutes with all of my papers. I think they tried to verify the permit with the DPI, but it was about 5.40pm so the offices were closed. The officer emerged from his car with a DEFECT NOTICE ...the exchange:

'So... why is it blowing smoke?'

'I'd say the turbo seals have hardened over time, and it is burning a bit of coolant.'

*writes something down* "And you say this is a hyundai?'

'Yep'

'Okay, this is a yellow sticker. You have two weeks to fix the problems on this citation, then take it over the pits.'

'What happens at the end of the two weeks, if I haven't fixed these problems?'

'...'

'The car is already un-registered, so it has to be inspected when it goes over the pits either way?'

'This is to make sure they check for these problems.'

'Okay, so what happens if I don't fix it in the next two weeks? It will still be unregistered and need to go over the pits, right?'

'Yep. Here is a fine for not having P (probationary driver) plates up as well.'

I got the message.

Anyways, I probably won't be doing tooo much work on the car for the next 1-2 weeks. I've got exams coming up, and I'm trying to get the beta accent to go around my local track at least once. These things are naturally sponging time and money. Let me know what you think!

*edit* I accidentally put a smilie mid sentence. Whoops.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

DUDE, I have ALWAYS wanted an SCoupe! Good buy, will be a fun projct!

GLWB
Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Awesome car! Hyundai's first turbo from the factory. Cant wait to see it restored.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Nice find ...
Old 11-05-2011, 02:04 AM

Updates:

-OBD 1 check engine lights are amazing, you just earth a pin on the diagnostic connector and it tells you what is up. No need for expensive scan tools here! Anyhoo, I got a code of 3117. This means air flow meter. I pulled the MAF and cleaned it with contact cleaner, to no avail. I started checking for vacuum leaks, and sure enough, the pipe between the MAF and the turbo had split where a hose clamp was done up too tight. I can't find a part number on webtech, so I might just have to get it through the dealer.

-The turbo has a good few mm of shaft play. It even blows white smoke at idle! I'm pretty happy about that, the more fuxxored the turbo is, the less chance there is that the head gasket or rings have gone. I'd like to get a compression and leak down test done to be sure.

-The following components also need replacing: back left side skirt section, boot release solenoid, rear demister switch, passenger power window switch, passenger seatbelt and the positive battery terminal. I'll start scouting around for these shortly.

Time permitting, I'm going to set the valve clearances this afternoon. It looks like quite an easy job with these first-gen alphas! The rockers are like those on an X2, so you can adjust the clearance by tightening and loosening a nut on top of the rocker. Why aren't all rockers like this!
Old 11-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Vehicle: 1994 Hyundai Scoupe LS Turbo

wow its crazy mine is a 94 and they look completely different in the interior!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:26 AM

Cool man, do you have any pics of your beast? I saw your comment in the other thread, you might be right about it. Mine is the only turbo model that I have ever seen.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:01 PM

Vehicle: 99 Beta accent

nice ive always wanted one never see one for sale not even a base model
Old 11-08-2011, 03:15 AM

Good and bad news.

I think I already mentioned that the lower intake pipe is split, around where the hose clamp bites the turbo housing.

Well, Hyundai wants $155 for a new one! I'll try and 'trail fix' it for now, just to be sure that is the cause of the CEL. Webtech doesn't list a part number for it, but I might try and get some US or even korean prices for it. I cannot justify paying that much money for a friggen plastic tube.

As planned, I set the valve clearances today. When I removed the intake snorkel to get to the rocker cover, the inside was coated with oil, and a touch of coolant. Here is the inside of the snorkel.

Between that and the shaft play, I'm quite confident that the turbo is rooted. I'm kinda glad that the turbo is thoroughly blown, it means it is more likely the cause of the smoke than, say, a busted head gasket.

Btw, the rockers are in really good condition! I have no idea what sort of oil has been used in this car, but they aren't even discoloured.

Anyway, I tightened up the clearances, back to factory spec. All was going really well until the LAST one: I overtightened the lock nut, and stripped the thread of the rocker

Just one more part to add to the 'buy' list. I'll probably have to get the rocker shafts as a whole piece, then set the clearances again. At least the NA and turbo cars use the same rockers. Seriously, the moment I can get to an s-coupe for wrecking, that car is going to get DOMINATED!

Well, that is all for now. Once I can get some more rockers, I'll put it all back together and see how it runs. The next two major projects are going to be the turbo rebuild, and the king pin replacement. The suspension squeals when you turn the steering wheel, as well as when you 'bounce' it. I've never done any of these things before, but they all look like fairly common jobs. Its just a shame that there isn't an autozone in Australia, so I can't hire out some king pin pullers.

Progress!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

All was going really well until the LAST one: I overtightened the lock nut, and stripped the thread of the rocker

You'd think there was somebody behind the curtain making your life harder on purpose.

I'm sure your list is fairly simple, but still that is a lot of work! There's no junkyard you could go to? The car looks great and it must be a neat project but will it be rewarding because I thought the Turbo models were rated at 115hp? Create your own intake tubing! I'm sure you can buy some proper piping and grommets on ebay or home improvement store somewhere.