Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

If you buy a home and there's an HOA

Old 09-21-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Accent
Default If you buy a home and there's an HOA

And they have rules you dont agree with, what could happen if you dont obey by their rules? It's not like they can kick you out of your house or evict you. I'm thinking about buying a home that has an HOA and one of their rules is you cant have more than 2 vehicles in your driveway, which I dont agree with and refuse to obey.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Yes, they can take your house.

Source: My HOA is in foreclosure against a home in the community right now.

Some places it's not allowed, but you need to check where you are before signing on the bottom line. Don't buy in an HOA if you can't live by their rules. At best they can be a pain in your ass, and at worst you could lose your house for non-compliance if you insist on being hard-headed.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I will absolutely never buy a house with a HOA ever again. It was a constant nightmare.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

In Texas, it's damn near impossible for an HOA to take someone's house (as long as you show up to court). The HOA management companies are lobbying in Texas which is why the rules have always been in their favor. They make tons of money off this stuff. But things are changing for homeowners for the better.

I highly suggest not buying into an HOA. It's bullshit. Same ol story about how they protect your home value, but there are countless neighborhoods that don't have them and look really good for being 40+yrs old.

My question is, why do you want more than 2 cars in your driveway? The house has a garage right? So, 2 in the garage, and 2 in the driveway. Are you one of those people that converts your garage to a gym or storage? If so, I'll tell you the same thing I tell others that bought in my neighborhood: You should have bought a different/larger house that fits your needs.

I'll give you a cheat for that that many people do in my own neighborhood to get by that rule. Park in the street. The street is public domain and the HOA has no authority over it. FYI, people hate it when you park in the street and they can't back out easily so then you'll have neighbors that hate you.

I don't know why so many people buy houses KNOWING it's not large enough, then get mad when the HOA and neighbors want your gone.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

We have 7 vehicles because we want 7 vehicles. I don't need a bigger house. Six of the vehicles live outside.

...I'm also no longer in a HOA controlled area.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Nothing wrong with that as long as they aren't parked in the street or over the sidewalks. Basically, being a nuisance to your neighbors. My neighbors/HOA go crazy over that stuff.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

A long time ago, I lived in a condo that had an HOA. When the entire community was built, they built the condos and townhomes without A/C. So anyone who moved in had to install their own central air or get window units. When I moved in, the HOA had made a rule that no window units were allowed. This rule was made about 4-5 years after everything was built so anyone who had a window unit, had to remove it. Luckily I had central air so I didnt have to worry about it, but there were a lot of older people who lived in them that did have window units and it was the only way they could stay cool in the summer. Needless to say, that didnt go over too well and the HOA was actually sued and lost because of it. They had to pay a butt load of money. Their reasoning for it was that window units made the community look bad and reduced the value of the townhomes. The judge didnt buy it and slammed the HOA for creating such an a**hole rule.