Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Zex Wet Kit

Old 12-01-2009, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I have searched a bit on the forum, but not quite finding the answers I'm wanting.
Just want to thank the guys in advance who are willing to throw some knowledge my way!

I've been contemplating turbo'ing my car for ages now, but I think I need to stay away from that as parts are not easy to find in my location when things go wrong, kits work out to 4 months of my entire salary, and there is a lack of knowledgeable turbo tuners here.

1. I am looking at the following kit and wondering if this is the correct kit to run, and are there any precautions I need to take before playing with nitrous?;
Zex Wet #82021
2. I am looking to buy the kit 2nd hand, it is missing the arming switch, which I'm hoping should be easy to substitute?
3. Are there any precautions or checks I should do on the system before use, and request the seller to take pics of?

4. Would I require an SMT6 controller(this is something I can actually obtain locally), or can stock ECU learn or be programmed with cable and software?

5. Would I require a larger fuel pump like a Walbro(something else I can actually get locally)

6. And an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator?

7. Would you guys recommend the 1.8l intake cam swap with this setup?

8. Would I require bigger injectors than stock?

9. And lastly, what would be the correct spark plug to run, lets say from the NGK copper range 2 steps colder than stock?

--. DTN you seem to be quite positive about the Zex kits, do you have any experience with them?

We are running 95 unleaded pump gass, or Lead Replacement 95 but who knows what that has in it.

I was planning on a safe 55hp shot.

I have an RD1 with stock internals, a little work on her and (136kkm) 85,000 miles on the clock;

cone filter WAI (will be attempting to heat shield soon, and yes I wish we could get proper CAI's here
intake manifold ports bored to match head inlet ports

gas flowed head
.5mm skimmed to raise compression
multi angled valve seats
polished valves
I suspect the flywheel also got skimmed somewhere along the line(need a reference to compare to)
4-2-1 Wildcat headers (will be heat wrapping soon)
57mm freeflow, decatted, 2 mufflers exhaust system(looking to change to mandrel bent soon, any recommendations on size?)

Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

A few answers
4. No. Stock ECU doesn't need to be programmed or learned anything.
5. Yes
6. No, unless the pump is bigger than ~200lph
7. Probably doesn't matter too much
8. No, the kit has an extra injector ("wet" kit)

Use the highest octane fuel available, 95 RON should be fine
Old 12-01-2009, 09:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

try searching "nitrous kit" with the parentheses around them and the first page of search results will supply you with DIY's and Jetting charts even
Old 12-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You did ask, so
1) yes: N2O has the same gaseous components as air, but it is not quite the same-enough to live off of. Playing with nitrous oxide should be done in a well-ventilated area (preferably out of doors).

Nitrous Oxide Dangers
Old 12-02-2009, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Yeah haha nitrous will not burn/blow up on it's own like F2F would have you believe. It's an oxidizer not a fuel. The only danger is to use it in your engine with too little fuel (detonation) or at too small RPM (backfiring)
Old 12-08-2009, 04:10 AM

okay so its a 65hp shot, still safe on stock internals?

It looks a bit different to the kit online, is it safe to presume the two small cylinders and the small black square box in the above pictures is the fogger system that is equivalent to the sqaure metal zex chunk in the below picture?

Old 12-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

The box in the picture is a purple box and is called the "brain". It houses the fuel and nitrous silonoids that your kit has open. It also houses the tps sensor with a button on the side to reset it. Your kit is either an older one from before they used those, or one that the previous owner took apart for whatever reason.

It will still work the swame it just wont look as neat since yours is in pieces were as the new ones have it all in one neat box.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 AM

awesome thanks bud

I'm just needing confirmation that a 65 hit isn't too much on stock internals, provided I will be going SMT6 tuned