Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Anyone ever get a ticket or get in trouble for having nitrous in their car?

Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Elantra
Default Anyone ever get a ticket or get in trouble for having nitrous in their car?

Can a cop give you a ticket if they see you have nitrous in your car? If it varies by state, where could I look to see what the rules are on it and what would I look for specifically?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:16 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

it varies by state really

some places require a cap on the end of the bottle (ive heard this part, havent found any proof)

others say its ok to have nitrous bottle in the vehicle, just not have it connected to the vehicle when on the streets

me personally, i hid the bottle, didnt wanna have the cop "search" for a reason to ticket me/arrest me

if they see a bottle they WILL assume you are street racing
Old 03-15-2011, 03:21 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I think in mississippi, there is a law that states that you must remove the bottle unless going to or from the track. That may have been Atlanta. I did research about 4 years ago for a trip I was taking in my car. It may be wrong though. Like faith said.. Check your state regulations.

Easiest way is to call the highway patrol in your area and find out what they would do if someone had a bottle of nitrous in their car. They will likely call you back later with an answer. Otherwise you can just look it up yourself online.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Most states (and maybe the federal government) prohibit the transportation of any high pressure vessels inside the cabin of a vehicle. It has to be separated from the passenger's compartment by a steel panel of a certain minimum thickness.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:24 PM
DTN

i8acobra: that's not true I've done research on this. Some states prohibit having the lines hooked up. Most states prohibit having the lines pressurized. You're fine in every state that I researched as long as you are going to or from the track there was only a few which specify that you must remove the bottle from your vehicle.

People assume that Nitrous Oxide is illegal or something. As long as it's safe, there's no reason to make a law. Nitrous oxide is not even flamable, it's an oxidizer. It's 33%oxygen instead of 21% like the air we breathe. 1.5x more oxygen. that's the key ingrediant in Nitrous Oxide.

You can't put a law on something because of pressure. The engine pistons generate 1700psi thousands of times per second.

Nitrous is not a controlled substance in most states and it's not dangerous. The fast and furious has caused law makers to create frivilous laws against "street racers". Even still, they're pretty reasonable.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

DTN, your correct, yet, i8cobra has some truth to it to, The NHRA sense were talking about nitrous i suppose your going to the track to do some dragging, it does state, if that the bottle be installed to the most rear of the vehicle if applicable, mostly for street cars that have a rear area or trunk, even though i have seen Civics here at our strip with the bottle where the passenger seat is supose to be. Guess that speaks for what kinda people we have running our Tech Shack.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:22 PM
DTN

I've seen some states say that the bottle must be separate from the breathing air in the cabin. That is accomplished with a safety blowdown. http://www.zex.com/zx/nitrous-add-on...fety-port.html

You should look at the zex nitrous racer kit for all the additional safety equipment including the blowdown, purge, bottle warmer and pressure gauge. http://www.zex.com/zx/nitrous-add-on...uning-kit.html These are the items which allow you to be safe and control your bottle pressure. Too low, turn on warmer. Too high, turn off warmer and purge. Too high and you don't know it, seal ruptures and gas is vented outside the vehicle where it is absorbed back into the atmosphere. Keep the lines outside the vehicle and keep the controls inside.

Noone can say your vehicle is hazardous when you have all angles covered. When the police see my nitrous system, they just want to see how it works.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:07 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent 22PSI Boost

Here in brisbane, you can nearly loose your licence on the spot,

If the find a working nitrous system conected these are the things they will get you for...

Bottle (its illegal to transport nitrous without a dangerous goods licence - so if you have one thats ok)

Feed line - its illegal to have a mechanical line in the car cabin/boot (so you can even get done for a mechanical oil,nitrous,brake, ect gauge)

Nitrous solenoid

Intention to race illegaly - Covered in the Anti-Hooning laws (Can be removed if you are heading to a track and can prove with times recorded by track, video)

Concealment of an illegal performance modification

Not mod plated (you have to get plated and engineered for mods, ie: turbo or supercharger, fuel system, race seats)

So yer, I had a friend he got fined 3000.00AU and lost 10 demerit points (we only have 12 for 3 yrs, after 3 yrs if you havn't copped more fines you get them back)

Seems to me we have the raw deal here,

Cheers Ryan
Old 04-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Intention to race illegaly - Covered in the Anti-Hooning laws

and a turbo wouldn't be the same?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 PM
DTN

Originally Posted by Ryanator
Here in brisbane, you can nearly loose your licence on the spot,

If the find a working nitrous system conected these are the things they will get you for...

Bottle (its illegal to transport nitrous without a dangerous goods licence - so if you have one thats ok)
Wow... these are some screwed up regulations..... Time to play forum lawyer and poke some holes in this....

Nitrous is not flammable. It's an oxidizer. It's 33% oxygen. That's not hazardous. That can make some things burn that wouldn't normally burn. It doesn't blow up your car when it gets punctured. You must have vaporized fuel and nitrous in the same space, which shouldn't happen unless someone fires bullets at your car and you're probably dead anyways.

We have this law in some states as well. If they say you cannot have the bottle, then you cannot have the bottle. If he has a front facing purge, he could have purged it until it was empty and therefore no longer "hazardous".

It can be hazardous because it's under pressure, but the bottle should be strapped down so it's not going anywhere. That eliminates that hazard as well.

Feed line - its illegal to have a mechanical line in the car cabin/boot (so you can even get done for a mechanical oil,nitrous,brake, ect gauge)[
Ok, howabout the fuel line which is right behind the piece of plastic in your trunk? What about the mechanical brake lines which are under the piece of plastic between the driver and passenger?

So, you can put a piece of fiberglass over the bottle and separate the lines and the bottle from the car.

Nitrous solenoid

Intention to race illegaly - Covered in the Anti-Hooning laws (Can be removed if you are heading to a track and can prove with times recorded by track, video)
The anti-hoon laws cover anti-social driving. How can they cover intention to hoon without anything to back it up? Slap a sticker on the side of the vehicle that says "This vehicle is equipped with Nitrous Oxide, See it on Facebook"... There you go... Now you're not hooning anymore.

Concealment of an illegal performance modification
Covered in the facebook statement. It's no longer concealed if it is blatently obvious.

Not mod plated (you have to get plated and engineered for mods, ie: turbo or supercharger, fuel system, race seats)
what is a plated mod? Is this some sort of anti-modification law?

So yer, I had a friend he got fined 3000.00AU and lost 10 demerit points (we only have 12 for 3 yrs, after 3 yrs if you havn't copped more fines you get them back)
Sounds like your friend was either a major a**hole to the cop, or really didn't take the time to do some research.

If it is so illegal there, why would he even consider putting it in his car? That's alot of expense to pay for even more expense.