Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

age old question

Old 02-01-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Yellow Tib
Default age old question

Someone please tell me:
Does Nitrous kill a stock engine? Ive heard different things from every single different person i've talked to. If yes, what do I need to do to make my engine "nitrous worthy"? Also, whats a better kit for an RD Automatic? Zex, or NOS, Thanks everyone, this may sound like a dumb question, but im just getting into this, everyone was at this point once, so help me out, thanks.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Nitrous doesn't kill motors. Moron's kill motors.

Properly installed, properly maintained, it works just fine.

If you install a 200 shot dry, yes it will kill your motor. I might as well try to run 25 PSI of boost!

If you install a 75 shot to kick in at 1500 RPM, it will kill your motor. (To much too soon)

If you have not tuned your motor in 50,000 miles, and your plugs, wires and coil pack are shot, and 3 of your 4 injectors are clogged...you will kill your motor.

If your Nitrous is installed properly, and used intelligently, and your engine/tranny is properly maintained...the it is just as safe as turbo charging and supercharging.

Do it in the right order..the right way, and use it properly. It will work fine. The "general" rule of thumb is never increase the engine's HP by more than 50%. On our 140 HP cars...that means you COULD do a 75 shot. Realisticly...if 50% is the LIMIT...going a little lower is safer. So most run a 65 or 50 shot.

The other rule of thumb is never add more than 50% dry. "Dry" nitrous only sprays the gas Nitrous Oxide. "Wet" setups spray the gas, plus the needed fuel for that extra oxygen.

Because Nitrous adds power, you don't want to have it kick in at 1000 RPM. You would never get a decent lauch with all that power that low...besides, you would never really use it, as most lauches are done around 3000+ with either a slip of the clutch, or a clutch dump (not reccomend in my book). You will also not be below 3000 RPM when acceleraing hard through the gears....So...you want to add the Nitrous at a higher RPM.

You also only want the nitrous at FULL THROTTLE, so you want a TPS activated switch that will not kick in the bottle until you are at full throttle. There are many other reasons/rules of thumb for nitrous. I highly suggest you read all you can from the various Nitrous Kit manufacturers and I also suggest you read on the subject. Knowledge is power.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:55 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

A few points.

Never shoot dry! You may as well just shoot less fuel into your engine while turbocharging. Dry shots require a fuel management system.

With nitrous, time=heat. Keep the charges down to 10 seconds and give the engine time to cool off. You should never have a time you need more then 10 seconds of nitrous anyways.

To be safe, get a window switch and set it at 3000-6400RPM, i've blown up my intake a few times. http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...792&hl=blew

To be "nitrous worthy" an engine must be well maintained. Any problems you have with stuttering or lack of power will not be fixed with nitrous. In fact, if you are misfiring, it will be worse and potentially cause damage with nitrous.

Since you are using this in a hatchback, you will need a safety blowdown tube. I would recommend a nitrous heater and a bottle gauge as well. Zex has a great kit if you get the nitrous racer's kit with it.

Here's my setup http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...t=0&start=0
Old 02-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I'm shooting dry, but not a large shot. I was using a 75, but I'm going down to a 65 this spring just to play it safe. My fuel delivery and ignition are upgraded to handle it though. wink.gif