Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Why don't auto makers use better temperature and oil pressure gauges?

Old 09-08-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Accent
Default Why don't auto makers use better temperature and oil pressure gauges?

My coolant temperature gauge only has two ticks (C and H). Why couldn't they put on some better gauges? If that is for the sake of cost, why couldn't they at least mark down the ticks better. It would be nice to see ticks marked as (160, 180, 200, 220, 240 F), and perhaps mark the normal operating temperature region with green color, and hot area with red color.

As we all know, monitoring the temperature, and oil pressure is so important for the well-being of the car. I am disappointed by their poor decisions.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Because most people are idiots. Hence the term "idiot light" or "idiot gauge". Car makers have found that gauges that move around tend to lead to higher warranty claims from idiots who don't realize the gauges are supposed to move.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^this. That's why your "gauge" doesn't move. You will see basically three things on the gauges Hyundai used: Not up to temperature, Everything is Fine, and zOMG SHUT IT OFF NOW. If your car ever starts actually overheating you will be surprised the needle moves VERY fast from 'everything's perfect' to 'about to asplode' - that's because the needle is just a step better THAN a light. I've had my car long enough to know it does show steady, elevated temperatures still in a safe range as slightly-higher in the "normal" area, but it moves around in normal operation WAAAAAAAAAY less than an actual temperature gauge.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

The one on the Gen coupe is as worthless as you can get. They would be better off just using the blue and red led lit indicator.

That being said, I bought a ProSport digital temp gauge. It is off by over 5F cold when compared to the ODBII ECU ECT reading. Yet ProSport says it's right on the money.