Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Hyundai Veloster Forum (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-veloster-forum-267/)
-   -   When buying tires, what's the best speed rating to get? (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-veloster-forum-267/when-buying-tires-whats-best-speed-rating-get-80387/)

Boston Red Veloster 01-13-2016 04:42 PM

When buying tires, what's the best speed rating to get?

N 87 mph 140 km/h Temporary Spare Tires

P 93 mph 150 km/h

Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires

R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires

S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans

T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans

U 124 mph 200 km/h

H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes

V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

Not many people drive their street cars faster than 100mph so what do you guys usually buy?

187sks 01-13-2016 06:51 PM

With the exception of snow tires I would never buy a tire for a car rated lower than the car's top speed. I usually end up with W rated tires even though they're overkill for anything I own now based on other characteristics I'm looking for.

Stocker 01-13-2016 07:23 PM

Approximately-matching the highest speed your car can attain would be a decent bet. The decent-brand budget tires I get are usually H-rated. I don't think I've ever seen anything less than that at a decent tire shop. Definitely wouldn't trust anything rated for <100MPH unless we're talking truck tires.

Zekkal 01-13-2016 07:59 PM

Not sure if you want only responses from fellow Veloster owners, or just opinions in general.

First, my winter A8 is limited to 155, but that wasn't really a factor, I never plan to get it over 100mph. Plus who needs/wants to go that fast in the winter? I was more worried about snow/ice traction and Load Index than the top speed rating of the tires. So I went with the Michelin X-ice which are "T" Rated but also a Load index of 100. Sure I could have bought better tires, but they weren't worth the $60/tire bump in price, when they were only marginally better.

It was a somewhat bigger concern for my GTI with Summer Tires. The Yokohama S. Drive I bought had good ratings, good price, exactly the size I wanted, and they happened to be rated "Y" which was a plus in my book. Granted I don't plan on going that fast, I doubt she's even capable. But, I'm a VERY spirited driver, when I was working at my last job, I'd hit 100+ on a backroad almost weekly on my way to work. But, it is capable of 165 that I personally know of and I've had it north of 140 a handful of times too. So "W" or better was a necessity for me. Never know if I'm going to do it again, but might as well be prepared if I feel the urge to really top it out.

It really all comes down to whatever rating fits your need/budget the best. If you never go over 100 no need to really pay much attention to the rating, I assume most you'll find for your Veloster will be "T" or better