Hyundai Veloster Forum The Hyundai Veloster Forum. Get all the questions you have about the newly unveiled Veloster answered here. Find out what makes this new model so intriguing and a highly potential tuning platform.

When buying tires, what's the best speed rating to get?

Old 01-13-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: '12 Boston Red Veloster
Default When buying tires, what's the best speed rating to get?

N 87 mph 140 km/h Temporary Spare Tires

P 93 mph 150 km/h

Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires

R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires

S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans

T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans

U 124 mph 200 km/h

H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes

V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

Not many people drive their street cars faster than 100mph so what do you guys usually buy?
Old 01-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

With the exception of snow tires I would never buy a tire for a car rated lower than the car's top speed. I usually end up with W rated tires even though they're overkill for anything I own now based on other characteristics I'm looking for.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Approximately-matching the highest speed your car can attain would be a decent bet. The decent-brand budget tires I get are usually H-rated. I don't think I've ever seen anything less than that at a decent tire shop. Definitely wouldn't trust anything rated for <100MPH unless we're talking truck tires.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

Not sure if you want only responses from fellow Veloster owners, or just opinions in general.

First, my winter A8 is limited to 155, but that wasn't really a factor, I never plan to get it over 100mph. Plus who needs/wants to go that fast in the winter? I was more worried about snow/ice traction and Load Index than the top speed rating of the tires. So I went with the Michelin X-ice which are "T" Rated but also a Load index of 100. Sure I could have bought better tires, but they weren't worth the $60/tire bump in price, when they were only marginally better.

It was a somewhat bigger concern for my GTI with Summer Tires. The Yokohama S. Drive I bought had good ratings, good price, exactly the size I wanted, and they happened to be rated "Y" which was a plus in my book. Granted I don't plan on going that fast, I doubt she's even capable. But, I'm a VERY spirited driver, when I was working at my last job, I'd hit 100+ on a backroad almost weekly on my way to work. But, it is capable of 165 that I personally know of and I've had it north of 140 a handful of times too. So "W" or better was a necessity for me. Never know if I'm going to do it again, but might as well be prepared if I feel the urge to really top it out.

It really all comes down to whatever rating fits your need/budget the best. If you never go over 100 no need to really pay much attention to the rating, I assume most you'll find for your Veloster will be "T" or better