Hyundai Veloster Forum The Hyundai Veloster Forum. Get all the questions you have about the newly unveiled Veloster answered here. Find out what makes this new model so intriguing and a highly potential tuning platform.

Veloster Matte Paint - Hyundai's Dos and Donts

Old 07-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Veloster Matte Paint - Hyundai's Dos and Donts

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...173756232.html

The biggest fashion in custom cars over the past few years has been matte-black paint or vinyl wraps -- a look that gives a sinister, half-finished look, as if the builders only paint resource was rattle cans of flat primer. Yet automakers haven't dared offered such a paint on a mass-market car, because despite its tough appearance, matte finishes can take wicked amounts of upkeep. Leave it Hyundai to boldly go where other fear to tread by offering a matte-black paint as an option on its Hyundai Veloster Turbo -- but you have to promise to give up automatic car washes

Before Hyundai, only a few luxury automakers offered a matte finish, and even then only as a high-cost option; BMW will sell five hues of flat paint on its new 6-Series Gran Coupe at a $5,000 premium. Hyundai's matte finish option will add $1,000 to the $21,950 base price of the three-door Veloster Turbo. The difference between a matte finish and a traditional glossy car paint isn't in composition -- there's still layers of colored paint covered by a clear coat -- but on matte cars that clear finish has been laid on rough to keep light from reflecting. (Many custom cars with matte finishes are actually vinyl wraps, which aren't durable enough for automakers to sell on new cars.)

The trouble? Nearly every car-care product and the entire car wash industry was designed to polish marks out of clear coat paint with abrasives or waxes. Even soft abrasives can create a shine on a matte finish where there should be none -- and there's no good way to restore a flat finish without a complete respray.

Hyundai's matte option comes with its own 11-page owner's manual, a cleaning kit and a disclaimer that the customer has to sign acknowledging the risks. The automaker makes clear that its warranty doesn't cover poor maintenance, and provides these tips as a warning:

Do not use wax, detail spray, ArmorAll, or any products made for normal paint. Use only products specifically developed for matte finish paint.

Do not use products that are even mildly abrasive, such as polishes, glazes, or rubbing compounds.

Do not use mechanical cleaners or polishers.

Do not use terrycloth, cloth or paper towels. Do not rub the finish vigorously — this will burnish the paint finish causing a permanent shiny spot. Shiny spots cannot be removed.

Do not use commercial car wash facilities or their shine enhancement products. Most carwash brushes, large mechanized "towels" and shine enhancement products can damage matte paint.

Remove foreign substances such as insect remains, tar, and road debris using a soft applicator and a mild solvent, saturate and soak area before cleaning — rub lightly.

Hand-wash with a soft wash mitt and mild cleaning product safe for matte paint.

Use microfiber cleaning cloths with alcohol-based window cleaner, for basic surface clean-up.

Hyundai's matte customers won't lack for cleaning options. Car cleaning suppliers already offer dozens of matte-friendly products, and there's even a market for clear car bras that are also flat instead of glossy. As difficult as its care may seem, many people already put similar effort into maintaining their cars. For them, caring for the Veloster Turbo's finish would be a small price for having one of the most distinctive cars on the road, at a fraction of what other matte-paint cars usually cost. The rest of us will just have to ogle while we feed dollar bills into the automatic wash.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:32 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Sounds like a $1000 headache that would look good for a year MAX.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:45 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

I love my Veloster and saw a matte turbo for the first time while I was in PEI and I almost auctioned off my fiancee
Old 07-20-2012, 03:47 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

^^^^ Any pics? I might have an opening bid? (j/k)
Old 07-21-2012, 02:57 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Old 07-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I had matte paint in 1997 and loved it ever since.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm not sure how I feel about the matte paint personally. It does look aggressive, but it also looks unfinished. However I do have to applaud Hyundai for giving the consumers what they want.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

I think it looks great and I also think it is GREATLY over exaggerated on how hard it is to take care of.

The kit that comes with the car to care for it includes everything you need to take care of it.. The site the kit is FROM even says you should NOT be afraid of matte paint and it is EASIER to take care of than gloss paint in a few ways.

The car still has a clear coat, it just diffuses light...

Use microfiber cloth and don't take it to the auto car wash (if you care about your paint, you wont take any car there anyway) and you will have a great finish for years..
Old 07-28-2012, 03:08 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Is it safe to do a "touchless" spray-n-blow wash with matte paint?

Worst thing they've ever done to my car is pop off one of the marker light lenses and open the fill door.

Matte black = sexy as f*ck when done right, wonder how a matte NEON green would look...
Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Matte neon looks very rattle can like.

Touchless would be fine as long as there is NO WAX. Wax is not your friend.