Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

2004 returnless fuel pump assembly retrofit\replacement\swap?

Old 02-03-2020, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0l
Question 2004 returnless fuel pump assembly retrofit\replacement\swap?

Morning peoples.

This might be a weird question but I was wondering if someone has done a fuel pump assembly replacement or fitted the parts from a different version of the assembly into their old one.

My 2004 2.0l Tiburon has the "mason jar" type fuel pump assembly which is held in place by a big plastic ring vs the metal flange and screws. My car is running a returnless system (2 hose connectors) as shown, the other picture is just to illustrate my point RE the screws holding it in but that's running the fuel return system (3 hose connectors)

Fuel assembly held in place via screws

Fuel assembly held in place via plastic screw ring ala mason jar

My question(s) are basically the following.

1) The entire assembly for both of these type of mounting/installation types seems to be the same physical size. Meaning that you might be able to simply swap the plastic screw lid or the round metal flange and have it work either way. Does anybody know if this is true?

) If I were to buy the return style assembly, is the internals such as the fuel pump and filters the same as the returnless system? Reason for asking is it seems that I can get hold of a return style assemble a fair bit cheaper than the returnless. If the internals are the same then I can likely just swop the sender unit, fuel pump and filters into my returnless assembly and call it done.

3) Would it be possible to use the return style assembly as a returnless system? So just connecting the fuel outlet to line going to the engin bay and then instead of 1 breather line simply add another or block of the return inlet completely. I don't think this would work however since the regulators is most likely different between the 2 assemblies.

4) Is there any real benefit of swapping the returnless system with a return system? I know that I would obviously have to run another line from the engine bay and add an external pressure regulator. The pump would also be running constantly instead of when needed. What is the disadvantage of running the return style besides the extra plumbing and always on pump?

I plan on going to a standalone ECU fairly soon and from what I can tell it seems that the return style assembly makes tuning a bit easier since you always have a constant pressure/flow so there's no need to do as much tweaking with the pump/fuel supply but I've not installed an standalone system yet so I can't say how true that is...

*No, not going turbo just yet, I got the car to play around with and hopefully learn some things so for now the car is staying N/A. Also, I'm located in South Africa so my shipping options is limited to say the least so just be aware of that if you want to suggest a website or something to order parts from. Stuff from Ebay and most other places takes a good 3 months to get to me. The one that's most consistant is Amazon, which normally takes about 3-5 weeks for something to get to my door. Oh how I love this country...
Old 02-01-2021, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai tiburon

So crazy you are asking this question, this exactly what I did today! But backwards haha

The fuel tank is different. You have to have the fuel tank, pump assembly, and fuel rail from the fuel system you desire.

I jisy swapped the returnless style into my 03 today. The fuel tank was completely rotted in my rallycar, so I used the tank, rail, and fuel pump from my parts car.

Return style system is benificial for being able to dial in the exact pressure you want for forced induction.

​​
​​​