Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New tires, loose rear end

Old 04-02-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/hyundai/tiburon
Default New tires, loose rear end

So I had 2 new tires put on the back of my 01 tiburon. Alignment was done as well. As soon as I left, I noticed the rear end felt "loose". I had gone about 80 for a short stretch just to test what the tires do at a higher speed and the car felt as if it was going to start drifting. At normal speed (60mph) if I make a slightly abrupt movement (Equivalent to pass a car), the rear end fish tails a little bit. If I actually do pass a car, it feels like theres a full second after straightening the wheel before the rear end corrects as well.

Could the car being lifted at the shop break the seals in the struts? I bounced the back end by pressing down with the rear hatch open and it bounces once, then the struts catch the momentum....just like I would expect. But I can also rock the rear end back and forth and up and down pretty easily. IMO

BTW, yes it is stock struts. So I might be beating a dead horse, but I don't drive this car much so I am trying not to dump too much money into it.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I had the same thing happen when I got new tires in the rear. It goes away after a week or two.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

There is a break in period for tires. After they've heat cycled a few times and worn off the outside layer they're usually better. Some tires also track differently if they don't match the fronts.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Ive never had that happen. I would take it back and make sure they didnt F something up.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:14 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Was the alignment out in the rear that they had to adjust it? They should have given you a printout.

Also over inflated tires can cause what your describing. See what they set the pressures at.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:03 AM

Vehicle: 2001/hyundai/tiburon

Originally Posted by SR Tech
Was the alignment out in the rear that they had to adjust it? They should have given you a printout.

Also over inflated tires can cause what your describing. See what they set the pressures at.

The alignment was fine in the rear. I had them recheck because I have the alignment under warranty for 6 months and I wanted to make sure everything was solid for my new tires. I have not checked the pressure but I will be doing that today!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:22 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Double check all the various nuts and bolts in the rear end and sway bar endlinks. Its possible something came loose back there.