Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Hyundai Tiburon Forum (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-tiburon-forum-63/)
-   -   Holy Rust! (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-tiburon-forum-63/holy-rust-76042/)

Tiburon-FX 01-14-2014 05:18 PM

Holy Rust!

Saw a tib today and my god did it have some of the worst rust I have ever seen. This thing was in horrible shape. The doors, rear wheel arches and front fenders. Nasty holes too not just little rust spots. I had no idea that our cars could rust out so badly. I dont even know they were able to drive the car because it looked like it was going to fall apart if it went faster than 5 mph. I hope no one here has their car in that bad of shape. :(

Tiburon-FX 01-14-2014 05:19 PM

It made me thankful that my car is in great condition but I clean the thing literally every couple of days in the winter. I also try not to drive it very much when I know the roads will be bad.

Tak82 01-14-2014 07:43 PM

i have some inner rust bubbles on the p/r quarter panel of my "j2-rd"..possibly due to water entrapment due to my tailight seals going bad, i planning to getting at it with my die grinder with wire brush and sand it down to bare metal, put some fiberglass filler or cheap bondo, primer and wet sand twice with fine grit till smooth and base and clearcoat.

call me nuts but a removable quarter panel secured with studs or rivets seems ideal for me..

Visionz 01-14-2014 08:40 PM

I've seen some Tibs around here like that. If you don't keep up with washing the salt and grime off on a regular basis in the winter, they'll rot out quickly within 4-5 years.

Tibbi 01-14-2014 09:37 PM

^ This ^

My car never sees salted roads, yet when I replaced the control arms they were already starting to show a decent amount of rust.

It can and will happen if you don't watch out and take precautions.

Tak82 01-15-2014 12:23 PM

when i had my beta lc, i never had issues with rust anywhere..mostly due to the fact that i drive through a dirt driveway and the coat of dirt acted as a barrier for rust, but my RD has only city and highway miles and has minor rust but better than any northern car up in the salt belt, i obsessively apply liquid rubber sealant to anything bare metal in my car, i recently put on a full set of mevotech sway links with zerk fitting and 2 months later, the stud and nut were rusted to sh*t..grinded it off with steel brush and applied sealant..

been watching some patch vids on the tube, may also have to grab some 18 gauge or 22 gauge steel and patch up my parents town and country and econoline..

Boston Red Veloster 01-20-2014 10:08 AM

Some people with Velosters are complaining that they are seeing rust spots only after a year of owning the car. Hyundai really hasnt fixed paint concerns over the years evidently. :fp:

Stocker 01-20-2014 06:14 PM

You have to make budget somewhere. :headshake:

Visionz 01-20-2014 07:47 PM

The paint has always been a massive complaint from people since 95/96 time frame. After 13-14 years, Hyundai should have done something about it.

Stocker 01-21-2014 07:27 PM

They have: continued to produce cars with thin paint!