Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Fixed My Car Not Starting Problem

Old 04-20-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after my car would only start about 60% of the time, I decided to do some routine maintenance early (spark plugs, wires, oil, air filter...). After changing all of the routine things and then still having the problems, I checked the IAC which was fine and swapped out my kefico TPS for another i had and still had the same starting problem.

I decided to run my code reader even though the CEL wasn't on and with the help of the local Dealership figured out i was running a code on the Crankshaft Sensor and the speed sensor in the tranny. The mechanic at the dealership convinced me that it would be cheaper and faster if i let the dealership change them out and he would do an overall engine diagnostic for me for free, so I obliged.

VOILA! Car works great now, and changing the speed sensor in my tranny fixed the idling problem as well! While he had it in the shop he noticed the exhaust manifold recall on the RD2's and also found a crack in my manifold. So he replaced my manifold for free as the recall states and even gave me a new O2 sensor since the old one was frozen in the old manifold.

So in conclusion:
-If you have rough shifting or low idling problems check your speed sensor in your tranny
-If you are having trouble starting your car check the Crank Angle sensor
Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Speed sensor eh?

Can you tell me exactly what idling problems you were having?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:13 PM

Normally the car would idle around 800 rpms and about 5% of the time it would stall.

Also (its an auto) there would be sometimes the car would not down shift while accelerating casually up to speed without me lifting off of the gas.

And the kicker, sometimes it would feel like the car never down shifted when braking to a stop, so when i stepped back on the gas it would feel like the car was still in third or fourth gear and acceleration would be shot.