Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Coil Pack Issue

Old 01-25-2019, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Coil Pack Issue

My brother gave our mom his '99 FX when she moved home last year. When we were replacing the coil pack at the time, the pig tail completely disintegrated when we unplugged it so we hard wired it in and it ran just fine for about 9 mos. The first real cold day back in December, it failed to start. It was getting fuel (we can hear the pump priming), the starter motor is turning and the throttle body is working so it seems that it isn't getting spark. I started with plugs and wires and when it did the same thing, I decided to try the coil pack again. While re-crimping the new one to test, one of the wires fell free and I'm left with two wires exposed and no real idea of which one goes where. My main concern is that one is the ground and when I try to crank it, it's going to fry the pack or worse so I don't want to run trial and error.

If someone with an RD or preferably an FX could take a picture of their coil pack plug, the color of the wires on the harness side of the connection and the where those wires connect to the coil pack, it would be greatly appreciated. I fully imagine that two of these wires are running signal for two of the cylinders so if I get them backwards, I could see that causing issues with the ECU and thinking that the engine is misfiring.

I had originally posted this on the newtiburon forum and they suggested I head over here. During our troubleshooting, we found the following:

I'm seeing three wires unfortunately.

Harness Side:

Black - Assume this is ground
Blue w/ yellow stripe
Brown w/ red stripe

Coilpack Side(aftermarket):

Black- Again, assume this is a ground
Black w/ pink stripe
Black w/ white stripe

Can anyone take some pictures and point me in the right direction?
Old 01-25-2019, 12:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I've got a 99 FX sitting at home. I'll try to get a pic this weekend. Hopefully the wires are exposed to see the colors.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by JonGTR
I've got a 99 FX sitting at home. I'll try to get a pic this weekend. Hopefully the wires are exposed to see the colors.
Thanks! I would love to get this thing fixed this weekend so I can get my truck back
Old 01-30-2019, 08:51 PM

TTT!!!

Any luck Jon?

I fully expect to have to buy a new coil pack and that's fine, I just don't want to fry the new one testing out connections.