Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Car Still Wont Spark (will Still Turn Over)

Old 07-13-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after a week of being in the shop, my shop calls and says they cant figure out the problem to my car.

Originally, my alternator burned out. My car still ran, however the following day when I was driving, the car backfired flame/sparks... which caused it throw a check engine light, I couldnt give it throttle anymore, so I pulled over, and shut it off. When I went to start the car again, it would not fire anymore. The battery and alternator were replaced due to the burning out of my alternator killing my battery.

Here is what we learned:

Compression is 180lbs (all 4)
Coil Packs have been tested and confirmed good
Coil packs are recieving 12's when the key is turned to acc
I have replaced my ecu (tried a total of 3 units)
All fuses have been visually checked, nothing blown
Crank Position Sensor has been replaced
Cam Position Sensor has been replaced

No matter what, the spark plugs will not SPARK.

The shop said they had no idea, and told me to get a stock ecu and plug it in, which everyone thought it was, that still didnt help. So my car is now home, sitting in the driveway as I am clueless to what to look for now.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

I also forgot to mention that my blower and COND fuses were blown after the alternator died, which I did replace.

I checked the red wire going into the coil, it is getting 12v... here's what I find odd... the red/black stripe, and white/black stripe wire (both wires which go into the coil) are getting 9-10v... I thought those wires arent supposed to get any voltage unless the ecu sends it out?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:46 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

I was about to say cps sensor but you already changed it.. and since you said you blew fuses due to a altanator problem... you might want to check you ecu but you already did it.. i would dare say you have fried you wireing harness.. you have a short in it somewhere.. the 2 wires going to the coil should not have power going to them at all even when the key is in the on position..

off topic

that msd unit i got from you awhile back well it does not work.. i have to send it to msd.. its not putting out a spark at all.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:05 PM

More news:

Now, im getting voltage on piece that go's from the ecu to the coil pack (NOTE: THE CONNECTIONS ARE NOT NORMALLY LIKE THAT, ITS JUST TEMP)

Now, sense im getting voltage, the ecu is refusing to ground the signal to create a spark. Any idea's why it would do this?
Old 07-13-2008, 02:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I think they always have a bit of voltage then the ecu grounds it. Im thinking that may be normal. Have you tried a new coil pack?
Old 07-13-2008, 04:35 PM

yes I have, and still does the same thing, no spark. Even tried 3 different ecu's
Old 07-13-2008, 07:30 PM

OK so Possibilities that you have excluded:

Crank sensor
ecu
coil
Cam sensor

You are getting fuel right? Or no? Have you checked that also?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 PM

Yes, I am getting fuel, you can smell the gas from the exhaust.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:31 PM

Damn. Im kinda lost here. Try checking those terminals with 9V when cranking, see if they are getting grounded for sure.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 PM

Hmmm... everyone is leaning towards a bad coil pack...

I used a test light which was grounded to the coil signal wire, and powered by a seperate battery which when turned over, the test light pulses. The shop where my car was being worked on said they did a test light and it didnt pulse. The test light is using the ecu harness as a ground, which will only light when the ecu grounds the wire.

This is a video of me doing so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amtltS78KmI

I did a spark test to, by grounding the signal wire to the head while the spark plug was being grounded on the intake manifold. It sparked once, then when I tested the others, it didnt spark at all. I went back to the first, it didnt even spark.

Im really leaning towards a dead coil pack, anyone else agree?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM

I thought you tried a new one?