Hyundai Sonata Forum The Hyundai Sonata Forum. The Sonata (around since 1989) and Hyundai XG300/XG350 (new for 2002) pickup the near-luxury segment for Hyundai. Find out where to get all the luxuries Korea is holding back on (HID, navigation systems, etc.) and how to tune your Hyundai Sonata, Azera, or XG for performance.

Car Won't Start w/o Gas Pedal?

Old 09-05-2009, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Sonata LX
Arrow Car Won't Start w/o Gas Pedal?

I'm a newb to the forum, so maybe this is in the wrong section, but I figured up Sonata owners could band together and maybe help me out..

Recently, my car wouldn't start, just crank. Crank crank crank, no fire. They replaced the crank sensor, and it ran fine. Within three days, it did it again. I had it towed, and when it reached the shop, it would fire right up. This happened three more times, and AAA loved me. smile.gif I even left it at the shop for 3 weeks, trying to figure it out.

Recently, I figured out that if (cold start or hot) I hold the gas pedal down an inch or so when I turn the key, it tries to stumble out (like always) but will "catch" and fire right up. If i don't press the gas pedal down, it'll start, reach 300-400 rpm, and choke itself out. It runs fine, no change in mpg, power, etc. I'm thinking either a dirty TPS sensor or IACV? I also think I should clean the MAF and IAC. It seems everytime I try to do something simple though, things break and go very wrong. (i.e - unscrewed the PCV valve and it snapped right off, so I had to replace the entire valve cover..). Anybody run into this starting issue??

I will add that every so often, at idle, the tach needle will flutter between 500-900 rpm, and it even once raced up and down between 3,000 rpm and 1,500 before calming down and a smooth ride home.

Grr..

- Goldie97
Old 09-05-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

dammit pressed thanks isntead of reply lol

anyways i would check out the TPS sensor first on the betas they had a problem with the dae sung tps doing the exact same thing you just posted

which reminds me i gotta swap out the one on my wagon lol
Old 09-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I would pick up an inexpensive OBDII code reader that gives realtime sensor data so that you can see how the TPS is behaving. I got mine for $90, best tool I've ever bought.