Hyundai Santa Fe Forum The Hyundai Santa Fe Forum. Hyundai's Sport Utility Vehicle discussions here such as the Santa Fe, Tuscon, and Veracruz! Learn what makes these great cross overs and SUV's one of the favorites amongst Hyundai owners.

Engine missing banging and smoking on start up.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 CRD Santa Fe
Default Engine missing banging and smoking on start up.

Hello All

As you know from my other post iv got a small problem with the electric fuel pump But today things went from bad to rock bottom.

This morning when I went to the car to try and start It all I got was the car constantly turning over and over and loads of white grey smoke . I eventually got it ticking over but when trying to rev it sounded as though the pistons where hitting the head or valves where being smashed. As I used to work for Caterpillar as a engineer Iv heard diesel knock and thinking about it although many years ago it could have sounded like that. Anyway as the engine started to get warm the smoke decreased and I was able to increase revs without the awful knocking but the car was still missing badly Anyway we managed to get the car out on the road and give it a run over the next couple of hours it got better But even then with the engine at proper running temp It ran fine below 1600 rpm and then went very lumpy with some smoke till it got to just over 2800 and was then clear and ran fine again. The same thing happens wheb stood it ticks over fine till yu get to around 1600 then starts to miss and some smoke starts to appear from the exhaust till you get to nearly 3000 rpm where it is sweet yet again?

Iv had some one say that it could be the EGR valve? The Santa Fe is a 2.0L CRDi with after cooler which sounds like the Terracan motor iv been reading about ?

Can I ask if the above symptoms is what you got with your EGR valve problems please Thank you very much and any help appreciated.

Regards Andy
Old 12-13-2012, 01:51 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I'm no expert on diesel engines, but I'd start by checking out that dodgy fuel pump. Check that you're getting enough fuel pressure at the rail and go from there. Considering the way a diesel runs entirely depends on the fuel supply, that might explain the wierd running symptoms you have.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:36 AM

Vehicle: 2004 CRD Santa Fe

Errrr

Fuel supply being the operative word I know im getting forgetful but I think i must have put £20 of petrol in by mistake the other day. Hence all the problems And I even drove the damm thing on the 60/40 petrol mix . Anyway its all been cleaned out and filled to the top with diesel at the moment it is tenterly running sort of ok and nearly back to normal. fingers crossed and watch this space. Im going to geet a OBDii code reader the PC one as it gives fuel pressures and you can read other stuff with it to see if there is any fuel pressure or injecter problems now or develop soon. And if so Its time to pass it on to a garage in Part Ex I think???

Also two garages I took it to and they listened to it doing its thing the other day never asked if id got any petrol in it anyway?

One thing though at least its cured the boisy electric lift pump. So that was acting like a eraly warning that something was wrong with the fuel?

Regs Andy
Old 12-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Oil's well that ends well? So long as it runs!