Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

My Synchro's Going`

Old 07-21-2009, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door
Default My Synchro's Going`

the dreaded grind of the upshift to 1st to 2nd, at first i though it was just bad fluid and changed it with standard 75w-90,

still grinds..hmm..better try the Mt-90..Bought 2 quarts of MT-90, still grinds..

so here's my options..

swap in my 3rd alpha tranny,
or go for the beta tranny...

i do know that the slave-cylinder lines are different and i also have to get a beta clutch which is a pull type,
the axles are different,

either way, no more power-shifting for me..does anyone else experience the crunchy 1-2 upshift
Old 07-21-2009, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Accent

Yeah I'm starting to have some problems myself and I also have MT-90. I've been using the "flat shift" option in megaquirt where you can keep your foot to the floor and a third step of rev limiting is activated while shifting but I feel even this has been a bit harsh on the alpha trans. I have a beta trans ready to go in but I think that I may try and convert it over to a push style clutch. From what I've read it opens up the clutch options a bit.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

hey Tak, I have a beta trans in my LC and I still grind in 2nd. any time revs are higher than maybe 3500 i grind into second, same with downshifting from 3rd into 2nd. I think Hyundai just makes shitty ass synchros. not sure what to do about it, I honestly think that replacing any tranny component would only be a temp fix before it all goes downhill again.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:04 PM

True..True..our hyundai's trannys weren't made from performance engineering backgrounds,

i always drive a civic or a japanese car and enjoy the snick snick smooth gear shifting, though 07 si's have a 3rd gear pop-out problem,

I wish the alpha tranny came with a rebuild kit, including stronger syncros and shafts,

i'm just sick of replacing trannys in my car, if i shift below 4000 rpm and shift slowly, it won't grind but these alpha trannys are trash..i'm starting to wonder if the 06 alpha II tranny will fit our cars..after all, its using the same g4ed alpha engine right?

Old 07-21-2009, 05:10 PM

it probably would work. the only reason i'd suggest getting a beta tranny is i doubt the price would be much different, and the beta trans is built to handle a beta motor. the most unfortunate thing is that once you notice that shitty grinding, it's too late and it'll only get worse.

I got my ass handed to me today by some stupid high school girl in her new v6 santa fe. i got caught up on the 1st to 2nd gear change. metal grinding and screaming bloody murder. i'm embarrassed to even bring this thing to the track now.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ereeves116 @ Jul 21 2009, 07:10 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'>it probably would work. the only reason i'd suggest getting a beta tranny is i doubt the price would be much different, and the beta trans is built to handle a beta motor. the most unfortunate thing is that once you notice that shitty grinding, it's too late and it'll only get worse.

I got my ass handed to me today by some stupid high school girl in her new v6 santa fe. i got caught up on the 1st to 2nd gear change. metal grinding and screaming bloody murder. i'm embarrassed to even bring this thing to the track now.</div>

i guess the only thing to do is to swap a mint beta tranny and fill it with only mt-90
Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 PM

i'm actually thinking about selling it and trying to find a 300zx
Old 07-22-2009, 02:08 PM

finding a VG30dett twin turbo is a rare gem,

for some reason, my trannys seem's to be healing itself a bit, i guess the mt-90 took a few days to "kick in"

I revved it to 5500 rpm and shifted normally and it just snicked into 2nd, downshifts are no problem at all

also got my wheel bearing done, which was a big speculation of me accusing the bfg g-force sports being noisy,
after the bearing install, i found out the tires are actually quiet,

if i had the money and time, i've invest in building built beta or alpha trannys, for heavy duty applications,
our lc's will never have aftermarket cult of civics but reality is a painful smack in the face,

i always wondered if the aluminum twm shifter bushing for the tib and elantra would fit our lc's
i noticed my rubber bushing are making my shifter rack flex alot, but the linkage on my tranny is very loose, the cotter pins securing the rubber bushings are rattling, but questions is, will twm tranny linkage bushings work on our alpha trannys?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Dunno if the bushings will work, but I suspect that they will. I was ready to replace my trans at 45,000 miles. I'm now at 136,000 miles and it'll need replaced soon but I got an extra 91,000 miles out of it due to MT-90.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I have the same 1-2 upshift grind on my beta trans but it won't grind until it has warmed up to opereating temp. I have never noticed a grind from downshifting, maybe I should try this mt90.