Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Beta swap questions for LC2

Old 11-13-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Accent 2004
Default Beta swap questions for LC2

Hello,

The timing belt broke early on my 2004 LC2 and so the cylinder head/valves are probably hosed.

I figure it's a good excuse to try a Beta swap instead.

There's a lot of somewhat conflicting information out there so I just want to get things straight:

1. The best engine to use is a 2.0L Non-CVVT Beta II as it uses MAP just like the original Alpha 1.6L DOHC I have, correct? Which cars had this particular Beta II engine?

2. I read Beta IIs have immobilizer systems, how do I avoid this being a problem if I was to use a Beta II ECU?

3. If I do not slot the mounts to move the engine over to add more room for the pulleys, will the original axles work? Or does the diff still end up in a slightly different position? Would this change if I kept the original LC2 5-speed transmission instead of using the Beta's one?

4. Has anyone got away with not slotting the mounts to move the engine over and was still able to change the belts?

5. I know the Alpha intake is supposed to bolt right on, but what about the Alpha exhaust header/manifold? Or will the Beta exhaust header hook up to the Alpha's downpipe? Or will a custom solution be necessary?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 1997 Beta Swapped Accent

1. If memory doesn't fail me, the Beta II non-CVVT came in the 2001-2003 Elantra/Tiburon. They are two different Beta II non-CVVT.

2. That I know of there are no immobilizers.Not sure in the GKs.

3. If you move the engine you will have problems with the CV Axles

4. Yes, uncomfortable as hell but possible.

5. Custom exhaust should be used.

There are a few walkthrough around.

This is one for example: http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/fo...gh-update.html
Old 11-13-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Accent 2004

It looks like the CVVT versions are a lot more common and closer to me. Would that mean I could not use the 1.6L Alpha DOHC ECU with that one or could it also be modified to work with it?
Old 11-13-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 1997 Beta Swapped Accent

If you use an Alpha ECU you will loose a lot of power!