Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Engine swap? Mi-Vec

Old 12-16-2001, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by clownboy:
y is this not allowed in california?????</div>

emissions I be guessin.
Old 12-16-2001, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The engine would have to be CARB certified to be california legal.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:39 AM

Off topic, but a bit on topic (emissions laws). Some bastard brought a Lotus Elise to Canada.

Not only is he polluting Canada more, he is making me EXTREMELY JEALOUS!
Old 12-17-2001, 02:02 AM

hey random,...
If we can get away with a turbo, i think we should be able to get away with this???

getting it here should be the problem. The install im guessing should be around 2-3000, right???

Anyone have a price tag on this engine???
I hope its not more than my tibby.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:05 AM

Engine and tranny run about $1500 to $2000 but installing would need custom mounts and harness, read lots of labour.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:52 AM
Red

How exactly are you 'getting away with' a turbocharger in California? Last time I checked, Random's car wasn't registered in Cali, so it didn't have to pass CARB or any emissions testing there.

So far as I know, there are a grand total of ZERO kits that are legal in California. If you strap on a turbo and you live in the sunny CA, you're already breaking the law -- whether you get caught or not isn't the issue wink.gif

If you think bolting in a turbo is bad news, just wait until you rip out the entire motor and replace it with a non-US part without authorization. The ticketing will probably go something like this:

"Sir, in accordance with California Department of Transportation Code, I must ask you to bend over and drop your trousers..."

"Uh, why?"

"So you are in a better position for us to legally rape you..."

The entire California Bar Association (not liquor bar, LEGAL bar wink.gif ) probably couldn't get you out of that. They have incredibly strict rules about what's allowed and the penalties involved if you're caught.

-Red-
Old 12-17-2001, 02:21 PM

a couple of questions that will help me sleep at night. so is this only a cali no no, or pretty much a whole US issue??? is is possible for it to be a car strictly for track runs or off road in cali?? im not to keen on the rules and regs of this stuff.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

If the car is not registered for street travel, you could slap a forumula 1 engine in a yugo and use it on the track.

I have a plan for a drag only car that is not going to be far off from the above...only ligher...and not quite as powerful!
Old 12-18-2001, 02:57 AM

your right red,... it is WRONG ILLEGAL AND who cares tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

I can get away with the smog check. I dont think cops will notice you have an illegal engine.

I think it will be easier to get away with Mi-vec, than trying to get away with headers or turbo.

If you have a hook up in the smog check area, you should be ok.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Jaws021-

Not all Cali Cops/State Troopers are trained to look for aftermarket stuff...but if they notice a Mitsu engine logo...in a hyundai car...and no carb sticker...they don't have to be rocket scientists to figure out something goofy's going on.

BTW...for CALI folks. I'm still awaiting word from a Lawyer friend. The way it was initally explained to me, you do NOT have to open your hood for the Cops/State Troopers. "probably cause" can allow them to search your car for drugs/contraband...but not for aftermarket mods, as those are not a felony. HOWEVER...they can claim "probable cause" to search for drugs...then find the aftermarket mods. Then you have to fight it in court that they illegally searched your vehicle. If you win...the CARB charges can get thrown out. However your car can remain in Impound while you fight out the charges....

Also...the cops CAN IMPOUND cars from illegal street/drag races, and also cite them for EVERY infraction to the vehicle code. Impound fees are about $200...and the tickets vary by infraction. It's just not worth it boys and girls!