Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Hyundai Genesis Forum (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-genesis-forum-54/)
-   -   Sort of a Turd? (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-genesis-forum-54/sort-turd-77028/)

WytchDctr 05-26-2014 03:05 PM

Sort of a Turd?

I see many people talking about the genesis being the best thing hyundai has ever done.. that might be more on other sites that look down on anything that is not gencoupe. However.. it seems like a step forward in terms of fun to drive (woohoo rwd) but a step backwards in quality and reliability, especially considering its not cheap.

What am I on about? I have owned many hyundais and the one this car is closest too in terms of stuff acting up/odd/noises/problems is my 2001 Accent. Transmissions are absolute crap compared to other manuals they have run. The new veloster turbo has a very nice manual for comparison. Wheel bearings going out like RD2 tiburons. Lights being filled with water due to a purely sh*t design on the 10-12s. That stupid plastic deflector with no gasket that doesn't seat then a shitty gasket at the light itself that doesn't take much water to cause it to leak, but has all the water running off the roof channeled over it. I fixed mine with some camper sealant tape(?) stuff. The noises and other things it does were not found on either the 2006 Sonata or the 2009 Elantra I ran around in. Don't get me wrong. I love my car and its a blast to drive, but it seems like it was.. rushed? or the quality controls were lower on this one than others like that Sonata. Maybe the 2013+ got better, but the anger I see from some owners says sort of (and I don't like the front on it so I wouldn't buy it.. maybe the next refresh).

(Not accounting for issues or noises that happened as a result of the PCPTitan; this is stuff that was there from the get go)

pas1216 05-26-2014 08:11 PM

IMHO Hyundai got too big too fast and quality suffered. The quality and fit in finish in my 04 Accent was quite amazing, not the case with my wifes 07 Accent. It started to rust when only 3 years old! It was not built to the same standards of my 04 and was one of the main reasons I decided not to buy another Hyundai.

wheel_of_steel 05-26-2014 10:50 PM

Well it's not like you can 'forget' what good quality is. Those sort of niggles sound like an incomplete R&D/durability program to me, which is again bizarre for a company with such a dank warranty.

I know that 90s australian fords and holdens were really flopped onto the market, and then issued thousands of recalls instead of spending money on durability testing in the first place. I don't think that's a good business tactic but that's what they did.

Yeah I dunno man, it's pretty odd for a company that is moving upmarket to move downwards in quality. I wonder what the JD power figures look like.

Visionz 05-27-2014 06:32 AM

I agree with the OP. A lot of things seemed rush to get the car to market. Luckily though, there hasnt been any major recalls which is good. Just a lot of TSB's and small issues that drive many owners up a wall. I still love my 2010 though, but I do wish I had waited just a little longer or maybe got a 2011 or 2013 so the first year issues were worked out a little better.

bdiggy 05-27-2014 07:43 AM

I hear you on this Wytch.....these definitely aren't our XD's, are they?! As much as I love my V and it's toys, there are many things happening with it that I didn't see in the Elantra for at least 5 years, if ever. Not to mention the V was $8,500 more than the Elantra was brand new :/

wyst 05-27-2014 04:55 PM

2013's have their fair share of problems too so dont think its just the 1st gen GCs.