Hyundai Genesis Forum The Hyundai Genesis Forum. An area for the all new generation RWD Hyundai sports coupe and sedan.

How close in comparison is the 2.0 GC motor to a tiburons motor?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 3.8 Genesis
Default How close in comparison is the 2.0 GC motor to a tiburons motor?

A lot of people keep saying I have a Mitsubishi motor in my car which I tell them is not true. Mitsubishi used to make the motors for the old hyundai in the 90s but they don't do anything anymore. But it made me wonder how close in comparison are the 2.0 GC motors to the tibs. If you took the turbo off the GC motor and ran it as NA, is it basically a beta? I don't know much about the tib motors so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Are the 3.8 GC motors close in comparison to the V6 tib motors any?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

The 2.0 is based on the "world" engine/GEMA thing that hyundai/mitz/dodge had going. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...uring_Alliance - Dodge bought the GEMA name when everything fell apart between the three. Hyundai still uses the Theta that was from that alliance. So, it is closer to a mitz motor because they are using the GEMAs, than it is to the beta. Theta shares a bloodline with the 4B11, but not the same motor. I think the primary design work was from hyundai, so mitz is using hyundai this time around, sort of. Not even close with or without the turbo to the beta.

The v6 came from the azera/minivan and a smaller displacement version appeared in the sonata. Not that close at all to the delta motor the tibs ran. It is hyundai... not mitz at all.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 AM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

very different engines..the beta engine in the tiburon is hyundai's own design,

theta has an all aluminum block and heads and reversed intake exhaust & manifold ports in opposite to the beta which has iron block and aluminum heads and firewall side intake manifold, theta engine use's timing chain, beta use's timing belt..theta use's drive by wire throttle, beta use's cable throttle, theta i believe has open style deck, beta has closed deck.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

http://www.chapter11bk.com/qmf/guide/build.htm

- Theta: This refers to a family of four cylinder motors. The family of motors is best referred to as World Engine or GEMA, as these are platform names/acronyms given the motor families by the manufacturers involved in their development. GEMA (Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance) was a joint venture between Chrysler, Mitsubishi and Hyundai to facilitate shared development of motors all would use in each other's cars. The 'World Engine' was one of those motors. There are two generations; World Engine Generation 1 is found in the Hyundai Genesis Coupe in a 2.0 Turbocharged format, using variable valve timing, etc etc. so on and so forth. This engine is not the same engine as found in a Mitsubishi Evolution X. At all. Put that thought far from your mind. Shun it. sh*t on it. Step away. The Theta is most similar (nearly identical to) the 2.0T World Motor variant found in the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart. There are very limited parts commonalities between the Mitsu and Hyundai motors. They are discussed in the Motor Internals & Block Building section of the 2.0T guide.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

SEARCH?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

PURPOSE OF POST?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

SOUNDS LIKE HE WANTS TO MOTOR SWAP TO GC MOTOR! FOR PSHHHHH
Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

The OP is a Genesis owner. lol
Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Maybe beta swaps are coming back in style.

Impress your mates with CVVT! Marvel at the rough IM casting!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

The mitz timing chain and hardware swap over to the theta and are an improvement.