Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Fuel Tank Crack on early model j2's and RD's

Old 05-01-2013, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door
Default Fuel Tank Crack on early model j2's and RD's

My link

i'm sure some of you are aware of the crack prone tanks on certain j2/RD Elantra's.

it seem's my car has been taken to the dealer several years ago before i owned it and they had it inspected but didn't have the correct cap replaced, plus, i'm at a stalemate with hyundai consumer affairs on getting my tank replaced, so i said screw it! for 2 years..i've been driving with a crack in my gas tank that won't stay sealed no matter what i tried..3 applications of permatex epoxy..failed!2 applications of Q-Bond..Failed!..2 aplication os JB Weld original cold weld..Failed!..the dreaded P0442 light comes on to inform me my patchwork didn't cut it. and this was on a solvent cleaned and rough sanded surface

the crack in tank is next to the fuel sending unit on the driver side..and accessing it is hard, so i took a dremel and cut the part on top of the crack and is readily accessible..i'm contemplating on draining & drying out the tank and welding it..or hope the old hose's and lines are still good and order a new tank from rockauto and have it painted with truck bed coating for added rust protection

my main question is..are anyone else aware of the same problem on their 2g elantras?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:17 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

never seen nor heard of such an issue.

and I've owned a few cars from that generation
Old 05-01-2013, 09:29 PM

mostly affect 96 and 97 J2/RD elantra's and tibs...i bought and installed the correct gas cap but i guess it was too late..the damage was done.

may have to blow $130 on a new tank..hope i don't have to.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:45 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Surely a used gas tank from a wrecked car on CL would cost you less than an hour's wage
Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 AM

true..true..but i'm limited to means in terms of where i can work on my car..

if i lived in a garaged house i'd swap the tank...may have to borrow my friends driveway.

there's a few more methods i'm gonna try before replacing or welding the tank.

i'm gonna try to hammer the crack from the inside and try to flush the gap on the crack as close as i can and solder it..
Old 05-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't solder steel. Well ok you can solder steel if you are a stud with the right kind of torch, and welding would probably be easier for a non-wizard to do. Welding might work if you don't blow through the metal. If you're prepared to weld it, be prepared to replace it just in case. As long as you're already to the end of your options, why not try bolting/screwing a patch plate inside the tank, with a silicone gasket and silicone seals on both sides of the screws?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

My 97 Tib had a cracked tank but I think it might have had to do with my really nasty encounter with the median.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

None of this sounds easier than simply unbolting the straps under the tank.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:55 AM

i donno about you, but of all the fluids that can leak from a vehicle, gasoline leaks scare the f*ck out of me the most.

do it right the first time or youll regret it. try to rig a transmission leak and you might have to replace a transmission. try to rig a fuel leak...well the outcome isnt so nice.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:29 AM

i have a mini butane torch and a propane torch..local mean's wise "lowes, home depot, ace hardware"..is there any soldering rods useful for patching steel tanks?