Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Hyundai Accent Forum (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-accent-forum-62/)
-   -   speedblind or anyone that has swapped to manual tranny (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-accent-forum-62/speedblind-anyone-has-swapped-manual-tranny-393/)

erikgsi 09-17-2001 12:07 PM

speedblind or anyone that has swapped to manual tranny

speedblind
i have been thinking about swapping out my automatic tranny for a manual. is this a difficult task? it will be on a 98 hyundai accent. what is involved? i need to know just about everything before i go any further. can i keep the stock ECU or will i need to get a new ecu for a manual tranny.
and does your check engine light come on?
if you dont want to respond on this board please e-mail me at erik740t@hotmail.com
thanks smile.gif

2 UNIQ 09-20-2001 01:49 PM

Me and Speedblind have both done the conversion.
Your best bet is to call afew wreckers and get all the parts needed for a conversion.Im not sure about the Accent but the Tibbys ECU are the same for both 5 speed and Auto.
If you have the money then i say go for it.I dont regret doing this conversion as it was the best investment that ive done. :D :D

JGraham9382 09-20-2001 11:24 PM

Lol...just think...if we would have got a manual transmission when we first bought the car we would have saved a little extra...now we want to buy a manual tranny and it's gonna cost us more... DOH!!! :D

bragger29 09-21-2001 01:16 AM

How much did the conversion cost you guys?

Speedblind 09-21-2001 03:24 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Lol...just think...if we would have got a manual transmission when we first bought the car we would have saved a little extra...now we want to buy a manual tranny and it's gonna cost us more... DOH!!!</div>

True to that! :D

erikgsi,

An auto - manual conversion is not an easy project to take on yourself. Your going to need some professional help and this is what is going to cost the most, that is if you don't have a good source or connection. There are both mechanical and electrical alterations that have to be made to successfully complete the swap. All the parts can be obtained from a/or wreaking yards, that is how I and 2uniqe got all the components required for the swap. There should not be a difference in Accent ECU's either, but if you contact the yards tell them to give you the "INTERCHANGE" information between auto - manual components, such as the ECU's as well as for all other key components, like the axles etc...

Expected Costs:

All parts required = US$600.00 - US$800.00

Typical Labor charges = US$800.00 - US$1,200.00

My cost were not as bad and that is one of the reasons I choose to do this conversion up, besides the fact that I am never going to get rid of my Tib, its mine 4 life. :D

Contact Jason at AA Auto and tell him that Luis sent you in regards to a conversion kit for your Accent. These are the peeps that got everything I needed and the same peeps I told 2unique to contact regarding the conversion kit for his Tib.

Tel: 1.800.336.2231
Email: http://www.aaforeign.com

I strong urge you to further research this conversion project yourself before you go out and start buying the parts. Also, look for a decent priced and reliable auto mechanic shop, and let them see your car and ask them to quote you on a conversion, as well as to explain the complete process to you, so that you know what to expect and get no surprises.

Hope that helped.

Speedblind

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: Speedblind ]

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: Speedblind ]

Iago 09-21-2001 03:29 AM

All in all easiest way to get this done reliably, unless you have some sort of particuular attachment to THIS SPECIFIC car you have:

1) Take off all your stuff and convert it back to bone stock.
2) Sell this car.
3) Buy a similar/identical car with a manual transmission.
4) Put all your mods back on.

Guilty 09-21-2001 03:57 AM

If you going to do the swap. I would suggest to you to do the engine swap as well. Put the 2.0l tiburon motor in with a manual tranny. Now that would be bad ass. That little car would hual balls. :D

erikgsi 09-21-2001 06:24 AM

i do have an attachment to it so selling it is not an option. thanks for the info speedblind. i will look into it more. and find a good mechanic. so you guys think i should do the engine swap at the same time?then i would need a tib ecu for sure right? smile.gif

erikgsi 09-21-2001 06:29 AM

oh yeah almost forgot!! did you ever get the cel to go off? smile.gif

Speedblind 09-21-2001 07:51 AM

COOL! :D Let me know how it goes, maybe I can help with other things, just ask and if I can help I will. It's going to be a hella of lot harder to do a complete transplant from a tib to an accent and hella of lot more $$$$$$ but it will all be worth it! :D

I have a special attachement to my ride, so trading it in for me was not an option as well.