HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Window Regulator 2014ish Elantra

Old 01-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0
Default Window Regulator 2014ish Elantra

I am about 1000 miles from home and of course, this would happen after a week of great weather.. waited to break right before the storms hit. Window regulator on the passenger side let go. The driver's side did it under warranty. I am at 72k now.. crap. Window is being held up with some cardboard and duct tape at the moment.

Going to the dealer tomorrow to see how much they are going to charge for it; seeing 130 online.. but again. Not at home - in South Carolina.

Has anyone taken the regulator off a newer elantra? all the online walk throughs show my old XD style regulator. This is very different. I don't want to start taking it apart and find that I am missing the tools to finish it and not be able to get the window to stay up.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I haven't, but I can advise that clear packing tape does hold up a window while still letting you see through. A few long strips up to the roof and down the window, just to hold it while you work, then apply a series of ~10" strips that overlap the edge between the top of the window and the bottom of the door frame. Go all the way from front to back, applying in one direction only so they overlap the same direction, and it will peel off in one piece.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Used your idea with a bit less tape for now. That will get me home and not make it obvious that the window is making it easy to get into the car. That will also give me a chance to take it apart and see if i can fix it instead of replacing the 150-200 dollar part.