HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

valve float?

Old 12-14-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon
Default valve float?

I went to start my otherwise very dependable tib the other day when It started misfiring... code reader was misfire cyl #1 and random misfire. after replacing the plugs coils and wires on site, nothing changed! when we did a compression check there was approx. zilch psi on cyl #1.

today I pulled the head and the intake valves on cyl 1 made slight contact w/ the piston. piston seems fine valves are toast.

luckily I'm a bit of a parts hoarder... I had a spare head laying around. as I went to install the other head. I ran into a bit of an issue. this link told me the tightening torque was 221b.ft (apparently someone likes to use l33t when typing critical #'s) because it should have been

22{space}Lb.Ft!

this is what happens when you're in a hurry... so my question is do I need to buy new headbolts (or just replace the one I broke?) and also is the new head gasket toast?

this is my dd-... I think I know my answer already but a second opinion would be appreciated.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

If you tightened them to 221 Lb/Ft, I'd replace them all. You probably stretched them. I'd replace the head gasket too. If you want, you could check the bolt diameters in 5 places with a caliper. If any of the 5 measurements is smaller than the other 4, that bolt is stretched.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

when tightened to specified torque (plus angles), the head bolts are re-usable without limitation, per Hyundai. From memory. From when webtech was still free to access

The gasket, unless it is the kind with elastomer seals that rebound after crushing, I would rather replace.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by Stocker
when tightened to specified torque (plus angles), the head bolts are re-usable without limitation, per Hyundai.

Reading his post, sounds like he went to 221 Lb/Ft. That's almost double what it's supposed to be and why one broke.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

Head bolts were re-used once when the pnp head was installed so this would be round 3 for the stock head bolts