HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Running like crap after P&P cylinder head...

Old 10-25-2011, 05:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97' Hyundai Coupe
Default Running like crap after P&P cylinder head...

Here we go AGAIN... fuuuuuuuuuck

As some of u know and as u can see from my previous topic I had problems with my head gasket and my car was burning coolant and oil...

This is what i did:

Remove the head, clean it really good, port it and polish only the exhaust ports. Port matched the intake manifold and clean it also. The cylinders were dirty so I cleaned'em too. After all that I gave the head to a man that's been repairing heads for 47 years! The man told me that I have to change the the things that the valves are running it ( sorry don't know the word in english...) He gave me the hydraulic lifters to clean'em and I did this... He worked on the head for about 3-4 days and I took the head from him ready to bolt it to the block. The 2 bigger bolts ( I think 10s) with 35nm + 60 degr + 60 degr and the smaller with 30nm + 60 + 60. I painted the teeth of the camshafts so I'm 99% sure that there is no mistake there.

When everything was done and I first started the car it was running like v8 White smoke comming from the exhaust and the engine was shaking a lot. A friend told me that it's normal and to leave for a while and after 10 min the engine was running almost like it should be without any shaking. I decided to give it a run and the tib felt strange...running good to 2000rpms and then it was loosing power to 3000rpm ( strange metal noise also ) I was using bkr7e so I tought it might be from the spark plugs, changed'em with bkr5e and the improvement was minimal ! After around 40km in the city I checked the plugs and they were black. Went for a little drive outsiede of the city and when I got back checked the plugs again and they were better almost brownish. The car is running a little bit better, but still not like before

When I started it this morning it was running rough for a minute and after that the idle was ok. No engine shaking, but the problem around 2000-3000rpm is still there. I'm afraid to go higher, cause I don't thing this is normal.

What do u guys think? There is no thicking and the idle is good... Any ideas what I have to check?

Some pics of my work: http://blitzrs.snimka.bg/tuning/head...26545.25292819

Thanx AGAIN
Old 10-25-2011, 07:52 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Sounds like the timing is off a tooth or so
Old 10-25-2011, 07:58 AM

Vehicle: 2001 tibby

Timing is off a tooth or you mixed up a plug wire possibly
Old 10-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Banned

I'll check the mark of the tooth again...the wires are ok 100%. I can't mix'em up because of their lenght I just hope that the makr on the belt is still there, cause today I saw only the mark on the tooth. I still don't get it how can I miss a tooth...

Thank u guys really appreciate it
Old 10-25-2011, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Don't go by the belt, there are timing marks on the block/crank sprocket and the head/cam gear for that reason.

Always line those up before taking anything timing related apart, and *make sure all your belt slack is on the tensioner side before tightening the belt down*

^ thats how you missed a tooth im guessing
Old 10-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...t-valve-timing
Old 10-26-2011, 04:03 AM
Banned

At the cam everything is lined up as on the pics that stocker posted, but at the crank I'm havin a hard time removing the pulleys that are in front of the crank pulley I have to remove them , cause I can't see the marks... really pissed off!!! Fuckin pulleys!!! I'm waiting for a friend to bring me 22 wrench for this f*cked up pulley, as u can guess I have all the others 19,20,21,23...but NO 22!!!

I'll post update later today and if everything is ok that's the last thing I'll do to my tib

p.s. the last 3-4 months I have that BAD luck and this is getting out of control
Old 10-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Banned

I'm finally done with the tib Everything is ok ... for now I'll test it tonight and see if there is any improvement from the p&p head.

Thanx to all that helped me and yes you were right the timing was off ... 2 teeth
Old 10-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

check the timing haha
Old 10-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Hey I think you might want to check the timing . . . oh, wait . . ..

Good job getting it sorted.