HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

rich idle

Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent
Default rich idle

My 2004 accent has a rich idle and a strong smell of gas around the intake. Can smell it some even when the car is off. There is no visible leaks from the intake, fuel injectors or injector bay. Wonder if it is due to to much gas being in the cylinders when running and it is seeping out when the cars shut off. I know there is always a little gas in the cylinders.

Any thoughts? Also were is the fuel pressure regulator? On top of the tank by the fuel pump?

Thanks it seems like one problem after another recently. Probably easy fixes if my work didn't keep getting in the way.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

the regulator is attached to the fuel rail

have any codes?

EDIT

is this the car you did a timing belt to? i was browsing the forum and saw you were doin one, if you put the timing off that could explain your fuel smell
Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

It is usually a black rectangular box isn't it? I didn't see it on the rail.

And yes this is the car I did the timing belt on. That was around 3 weeks ago. Would that still explain the fuel smell? My buddy did the timing and am not sure if the timings exact as I got a p0340 code now. Cam shaft positioning sensor malfunction. Already checked the wires and changed the sensor. Read somewhere the timing being off by a tooth could cause the code. Don't know if that helps in helping me.