HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

OPINIONS/LEGAL ADVIE HELP!

Old 08-28-2011, 11:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon
Default OPINIONS/LEGAL ADVIE HELP!

Ok, first off, it was not the Tib that is in this mess, but my honda civic.

I take it to a detail shop to have it detailed inside. Shampoo carpet, seats, and headliner. School is starting and I though it would be nice to have a super clean car to start the year off on the right foot.

So I take it in and they do it. A few days later, there is this smell of mold and mildew and is getting worse and worse each day!!! So bad that I cant even stand to be in the car. I take it back in and immediately the owner is trying to find who worked on it. He admits its his shops fault because the tech must have SOAKED my carpets with way too much water and now there is mold and mildew growing under the carpets.

So I agree to leave it there all day and let them work on it. I get the car back and although it is better, its still there. Tech said to bring it back in a few days if the smell is still there.

Well its been a few days and its getting stronger and stronger again!!! Going to take it back but I am nervous as to what to ask for. I honestly think asking for my money back is a bad thing, since more than likely the entire interior is going to need to be removed, cleaned, reinstalled, and there is a possibility that the carpets will actually need replaced if the mold is set too deep in the padding and carpet.

Just want advice as to what to say to the owner of the shop. So far he has been cool, but I'm sure he doesnt want to spend money replacing seats and carpeting if he can.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!! Thanks ya'll!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

At the very least a LOT of time has to be spent to get a total fix. It may be worth the money to prevent having to spend some of the time, if the shop owner just springs for a new carpet. If the seats AND carpet are funky, then you might be ending up in Small Claims Court unless the shop is run by a real stand-up kind of guy.

Tell the shop owner "look I don't like lawyers any more than you do but my car is wrecked. Fix it so it is right and we're square."

If they were to try to offer you just your money back, that's when you start thinking more seriously about appearing in a lawsuit as the injured party.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

you could make a weekend of taking out your seats and carpets and drying them in the sun. its not even a hard job. but yeah that does suck. try and get him to make it right to the best of his ability, its his business after all.