HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Odometer Cable

Old 04-25-2006, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Odometer Cable

about this time last week as I was getting on to the intersate I just happen to look down and notice that I was doing 0 miles per hour, my odometer cable stops working then half way into the drive it kicks back in I live only 10 minutes from work so about 5 minutes into the drive it starts. It's fine all day go to get in it the next morning same thing. So I take it back to dealer they just put a new timeing belt on the week before so I was thinking maybe they knocked something loose. They told me they couldn't find anything so they just retighten it. Well it was fine that evening and the next morning. So as I am leaving for work today(3 days later) what happens I go and get on the interstate again and look down to find I am doing 0, knowing that this is not true. The strangest thing it works after while I am pulling out of my drive way and as I am driving to the interstate which is 3 minutes from my house and then when I slow down to get onto the interstate it stops but then after I let it set all day and get ready to leave after work it works.

I just wonder if it is drawing moisture on it some where I can't seem to figure it out. I was wonder if I could let a local mechanice work on it or would it be best to take it back to the dealer and pay the get out price to have it fixed or is there something more simple that I could do.

Does anyone have any ideas or opinions.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:38 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 5-door

Not sure what year/model you have, but I had a 1995 Ford Aspire (yeah... ha ha!) that had a squirrelly speedo. I found that lubricating the cable and the speedo with dry graphite made it work okay. If you have a mechanical speedo, you may look into this. If your speedo electronic and runs off the wheel speed sensor, you probably have a loose connections somewhere.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:26 PM

QUOTE(Doohickie @ Apr 25 2006, 06:38 PM)
Not sure what year/model you have, but I had a 1995 Ford Aspire (yeah... ha ha!) that had a squirrelly speedo. I found that lubricating the cable and the speedo with dry graphite made it work okay. If you have a mechanical speedo, you may look into this. If your speedo electronic and runs off the wheel speed sensor, you probably have a loose connections somewhere.

It's a 98 Tib, I think it's a wheel sensor as well makes sense. Somone that I talked with today told me it is the right one and it's right buy the timeing belt and that is what they replaced last week and it was working before they put the timing belt on. Thanks'