Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   HELP Forum (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/help-forum-21/)
-   -   guages (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/help-forum-21/guages-9593/)

Jon 01-21-2003 09:17 PM

guages

Ive just ordered a set of TIM guages boost,oil temp and oil pressure. They come complete with universal fitting kits. Any advice from the guys that already have any guages fitted would be great. Such as where the senders plug in ie for boost where to mount straight after the turbo or by the throttle body. For the oil temp and pressure are there any plugged holes that can be used or is it a case of drilling if so wheres best. I still cant find a decent A/f meter in the UK its a pain in the butt.

Curtas 01-21-2003 10:09 PM

Jon,
For boost, I'd go with anything close to the IM. You want to see what the manifold pressure is, not the value coming out of the compressor (may be close, but there will be some losses). I tapped mine off the heater vacuum line, which comes out the back of the IM.

as for oil, check out my gauge install page. It's just pics, but you can see where I put the Oil pressure sender and how I routed the wires.

http://www.geocities.com/acurtas/turbo/gauges.html

Don't know where to put oil temp. Tapping the oil pan is probably your best bet there.

good luck,
ac

Jon 01-22-2003 03:56 AM

Thanks for the help the pics helped but i just reolised that is where the oil feed for my turbo is taken fron. I take it there shouldnt be a problem with getting a T piect put into that hole so that i can run both off it. Or is there somewhere else if this is not a good idea. Although i can see it being a problem its just a case of trying to find a T piece. Just for intrests sake do you have a pic of the boost tap off at all.

Stupid boy i just saw it second from the bottom. Do you have a larger pic thats a little clearer, even if you mail me the larger original that would be great.

Thanks Jon

[ January 22, 2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Jon ]

Jon 01-22-2003 06:41 AM

Ive just found a place that does t-pieces so that i can put the oil pressure guage and oil feed for my alpine kit on the same hole. If this is a bad idea could someone let me know please. Also presuming it is ok anyone know the thred/size of that hole/ alpine oil feed so that i can order the right one.

Thanks

P.S if not i just thought would it be better to put the stock oil pressure switch and the iol pressure sender for my guage on the t bar instead. if so does anyone have the specs for this hole as it does not show the thread/ size on hmaservice site.

Useless i just rang the dealer and even they dont know the dimansions and thred of that hole. Someone like Random must now. :confused:

[ January 23, 2003, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: Jon ]

Curtas 01-22-2003 10:53 PM

T'ing the oil feed is exactly what I'm going to do and it should be fine. As for the fittings: Home Depot has a great selection, most large auto parts stores should have similar, and if you want to go all out, McMaster-Carr industrial supply has a ton of stuff.

A T fitting, nipple, and Loc-tite sealant shouldn't run you more than $8.

Sorry I don't have a better picture of the boost gauge feed. The digital camera is cr@p. basically, there's one line that goes along the lip of the firewall from the passenger side of the intake manifold towards the driver side. I cut that near where it's clipped down and put a 5-way vacuum tee in place. Since I only needed one split, I used a U of hose to plug up the unused ends. The 5-way tee can be found at any auto parts store.

Good luck.
ac

edit -- DOH, I just realized you're in the UK. Well, then, hopefully your auto parts stores carry those parts; but obviously I have no idea. McMaster-Carr may ship international, but I doubt it would be worth it.

[ January 23, 2003, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: Curtas ]

Jon 01-23-2003 01:50 AM

Thanks for the reply i have found somewhere that can can get me the parts in the UK not a problem.im just waiting(hopefully) to see if someone like Random, Red etc knows the size and thread of the hole that the alpine kit plumbs into. I dont know the proper name oil journal? that one that has the grub screw in it next to the elec distributor. I can see with your description how the boost guage fits so im happy with that now thnks again.

Jon 01-23-2003 05:27 PM

Just to let anyone else know that may need to do this in the future as it seems noone else here knew the answer its a 1/8 npt. In the end i had to ring alpine and ask them what size thier connector is for the oil feed for the turbo.

Curtas 01-23-2003 11:00 PM

The block is tapped for 1/8" BSP. I have a 1/8 BSP to 1/8 NPT adapter, then my oil pressure sender.

I don't know what adapters Alpine might have used, but they probably did the same thing (BSP to NPT). For fuel and oil fittings, NPT is an easier one to find (especially in the US).

Glad to hear the Boost gauge is working well for you now.

good luck,
ac

-- edit: my car is a '97, early Rev-A, 1.8L so the oil tap in the block may be different. It's definitely either 1/8 BSP or NPT (and they are very close in thread spacing)

[ January 24, 2003, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: Curtas ]

2 UNIQ 01-24-2003 06:39 AM

Curtas!
I was wondering if you can get me the EXACT fitting you have for the Oil pressure sender Cup?
I cant get one is Stainless steel or stronger material!
Let me know thanks! smile.gif smile.gif

Jon 01-24-2003 06:51 AM

I havnt got it fitted yet but hopefully i will have soon. Hopefully is it is the other thread i will be able to use the adapter ont the oil feed to fit the T-piece.

If you are talking about stainless on the suround or a stand alone cup to mount the guage and cant find one i can get one to send to you. if i misunderstood sorry!