HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Engine stops intermittently. Sometimes cranks, but won't start. P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor code set.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default Engine stops intermittently. Sometimes cranks, but won't start. P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor code set.

Driving along a few days ago day, slowing to a stop light, the engine quit. One second it was running perfect, then it was just off. Turning the key would crank the engine, but it wouldn't start. After sitting (in the road! ) for a few minutes, I gave it one last try before calling a tow truck and . . . it started right up! w00thankyoujesus and it worked for several days like nothing was wrong. P0335 Code was set and didn't come back after it was cleared.

Drove to the local car parts store today to buy stuff for an oil change. Went to drive home and . . . cranks, but no start. Again. P0335 was set again. Sitting for a few minutes wasn't enough this time. I've heard that sometimes when the hole is not clean the sensor won't read properly, so I cleaned the hole and the sensor there in the parking lot. The sensor was re-installed and then the car started right up! Having no confidence in the sensor, I've ordered a replacement and it should be in later today.

I really really hope that the sensor is failed or the hole was dirty. I'd hate to have to troubleshoot something that only fails every few days, and away from the house.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

This happened in the Elantra Wagon once but the engine would start up normally. Threw the same code P0335, replaced crankshaft position sensor and it solved the issue.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

From your lips to God's ears! After installing the new sensor at the same time as an oil change, the engine is running smoother than it has in a long time. I know engines run rougher when they need an oil change, but I can't help but wonder if the sensor wasn't dodgy for a while and finally started outright letting me down. The car got me to work and back twice, which is all I want out of it these days... hopefully the sensor was at fault and I'm good to go now.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

CPS seems to be a common issue on the Beta after a decade or so of abuse. So unreliable!
Old 07-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I've had crank and cam position sensors go out multiple times on my Accents. It's been the problem literally every time that it would crank and not start with the exception of snapped timing belts.