HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Clunking on bumps - Not Endlinks

Old 08-02-2016, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon
Default Clunking on bumps - Not Endlinks

This is my 08 Tiburon. It has 63K miles on it.

When it started clunking I replaced the end links - because it's a Hyundai and that's what you do when it starts clunking. Made a bad call and that did not fix the issue.

When I hit a bump, I get a loud metallic clunk from what sounds like behind the dash. It's not a single "thud" ... but more like something is bouncing around. Like 3-4 metallic bangs quickly when hitting a bump.

Anyone got any idea what it is ... or what to look at to check/diagnose?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Maybe go under the front end and hit everything with a rubber mallet and see what clunks? It could be almost anything really. If you have an aftermarket alarm or stereo it could even be those working loose and bouncing around, since you say it sounds like it's from the dash. Try having a passenger sit in the car and see if they can find it while driving around a bumpy deserted parking lot?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Strut mounts maybe? but like he said - could be a lot of stuff. Go smack things around. Sounds can be a PITA to figure out.