HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Clicking/Ticking Under Acceleration

Old 10-28-2015, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I just had almost the same issue on my 2001 Tiburon @ 240,000 miles. I rebuilt the transmission / replaced the bearings myself for under $200 because I was quoted by 2 different transmission shops that they would charge $900 to rebuild it after I remove it from the car and drop it off to them.

I had another transmission lined up for my car so I decided to try the rebuild myself since I was able to find bearing kits for under $150. Half way through the rebuild my backup plan was ruined when the doner car burned down in the recent Valley Fire in California so I took my time and researched everything until I was confident I did it right.

My trans is the M5BF1 and I had it apart in my garage for about 1 month and just drove the car for the first time Tuesday morning. I have less than 200 miles on the rebuild and new clutch and flywheel and I am amazed at the difference. I wish I would have replaced the differential instead of just the bearings.

I had metal sparkles on my trans during the final fluid drain before the rebuild and I think it was part bearing and part case from the bearing races spinning. When I opened the case, 3 bearing races fell out on their own. My new races are held in with a special loctite to prevent that from happening again.

Now that I am comfortable with tearing these transmissions apart, I plan on getting another used one to rebuild as a spare so let me know if you are tossing your old one or have any questions on them.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I'm planning to keep it as a hopefully-rebuildable core, and your post makes me braver to try it for myself. But hopefully this used one will work and I'll be good to go for a good long time.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

I destroyed the throwout bearing trying to remove it. Another $175 because I need this car this weekend, had to buy a whole clutch kit...nobody carries JUST the bearing. Oh, and the springs in the clutch I had in there were rusting. Great. So. New clutch, pressure plate and bearing. If not for that, i may have finished tonight. I got the engine and transaxle married. The mounts are being a b*tch and it's tomorrow, so bed time.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:48 PM

I put in a new clutch and flywheel when I did the rebuild. When I was putting the lower cross member in I discovered that my radiator support near the holes where the lower cross member mounts to had a 1/4" crack almost all the way around it. That alone cost me an extra day putting the car back together cause I ended up welding as much of the crack as I could then welded a 1"x8" piece of 1/4" flat bar across the front by the cross member holes.

Maybe should do a DIY article on rebuilding the transmission.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if you had filled mounts or were ever in a crash or something? Radiator support seems pretty strong right there.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:29 PM

The car has been in a few accidents and was considered totaled after the last accident but the lower radiator support was never damaged. I also run polyurethane lower motor mounts and both upper mounts are filled with window weld and I did replace the lower cross member a few years back after I noticed some damage to it after running something over on the freeway.

All that plus it being the main location where I jack the car up from are probably all to blame.

Glad I caught it before it broke and now it's ready to live on for another 1/4 million more miles.