HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

2001 Tiburon Won't start

Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon-Automatic
Default 2001 Tiburon Won't start

I have a 2001 Tiburon (Automatic) that has 89k miles on it. I just got it in June. It recently started taking a couple of tries to crank, but would always finally fire. It turns over (rrr, rrr, rrr-muted click), but won't start. We have charged the battery w/ a commercial crank box, put it on the computer and it says 02 censor. We changed the upper 02 censor, timing belts are in time, installed a new cam sensor, new plugs, new plug wires. The check engine light was on for a few weeks before the cranking issue began, and still is even with the new 02 censor, but the computer doesn't say anything is wrong. The fuel pump is fine, the starter doesn't appear to have any problems, and gas is going to the spark plugs and they are getting fire. All the fuses in the box under the hood and driver's side floor appear to be fine. We can't figure out if compression is missing somewhere, or what the problem may be. It tries to crank, but just continues to turn over.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks

I forgot to mention that a couple of weeks ago, the car started shifting down really hard when I would have to stop fairly quick. It was smooth when I could slow down over a long distance, and did not do it when shifting up or down in any other gears. We changed the transmission fluid and filter and that seemed to fix the problem of hard shifting.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Your terminalology is a bit off , if it's turning over, then it's cranking. What I'm getting out of your post is a crank/no start condition.

I would recommend changing the crankshaft sensor as it is a common failure on the beta 1 engines and will cause the condition i believe you are trying to explain.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by SR Tech
Your terminalology is a bit off , if it's turning over, then it's cranking. What I'm getting out of your post is a crank/no start condition.

I would recommend changing the crankshaft sensor as it is a common failure on the beta 1 engines and will cause the condition i believe you are trying to explain.

Sorry...I'm a total girl, and am trying to learn from my hubby about all this fancy terminology

I think you may have just saved the day! Everybody at our local parts stores has told him that the car does not have a crank shaft sensor, only a cam sensor, so we replaced it. Is there any way you can show/tell us where the crank shaft sensor is?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Its on the front of the engine block by where the trans and block connect
Old 10-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

at hyundaitechinfo:

ETM > TIBURON(RC) >2001 > G 2.0 DOHC > General > General > COMPONENT LOCATION INDEX > Crankshaft Position Sensor > Crankshaft Position Sensor

SHOP > TIBURON(RC) >2001 > G 2.0 DOHC > Fuel System > MFI Control System > Crankshaft Position Sensor > DESCRIPTION AND INSPECTION

If the check engine light is on, there is a stored code. Most chain auto part stores will read the codes free if you can get there, but if it will not run it is a legit investment to get an OBD2 code reader.

Inspect and carefully clean the crank sensor hole, as a rusty mount interferes with operation. The wires to the sensor have also been known to go bad so inspect a couple feet into the harness.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks so much! We have the code reader, and it only said the 02 sensor was bad, so that was the first thing we changed and it made the check engine light go off. I ordered the crank shaft position sensor today and should have it installed by Saturday. We really appreciate your insight and willingness to help. I'll be sure to keep ya'll updated after the latest sensor is installed!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

The crank sensor will not illuminate the check engine light/ throw a code.

When I had an issue with mine I was able to take it out, clean the sensor face and reinstall and it worked. Worth trying until the part comes in
Old 10-26-2013, 06:08 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

was just gonna say that" When I had an issue with mine I was able to take it out, clean the sensor face and reinstall and it worked. Worth trying until the part comes in ".