Health, Body, & Wellness Got questions about your health or an ailment? Maybe just looking to figure out what nutrition program is right for you? Ask away in here, as Hyundai Aftermarket's resident medical advisor answers your questions.
For more info, please go to http://www.dcberk.com

resistance band training

Old 04-11-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Sonata
Default resistance band training

Ive never been a fan of free weights for various reasons and have done a lot of sport specific stuff to reach my goals. Recently a freind of mine from the gym has really gotten into resistance band training because he says it gives him a lot more options. I know I shadow box with resistance bands and I use them a lot with my boxing.

My question is this. He replaced his whole free weight routine with resistance band training. Is it as effective as free weights or is this just some new fad. chime in with your thoughts
Old 04-12-2013, 01:22 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Accent

you shouldn't box with any weights or resistance from what i'v learned. I find it slows you down. (Buts that just my own body)

I'v been boxing since i was 13 in school now 23. My granddad was a professional boxer and swore by just a Heavy bag & running.

Boxing with weights is defo no no for me. I gained alot of upper back mass but I hurt my elbow about 4 months ago and still asn't fully heeled (i never lockout my arms it was just the mass of speed and weight).

I work bag up really close then slower longer throws. Because i want first few movements to be as fast as i can. This is similar to why monkey is very strong. They have short powerful movements but not fast. a 100lb female monkey registered a 700Lb pull.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:23 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Free weights chop up, because you get to train all the supporting muscles that are actually used when you make that movement in real life. When the kinematics of your movement are determined by machines or bands, it tends to artifically load up odd muscles. It's probably fine for bodybuilding, but not for strength training.

How do you replace squats, deadlifts, and bench presses with resistance bands anyway?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I have a Total Gym at home with every attachments, and it uses body weight, regular weights, and resistance bands. Surprisingly, it gives me the same work out as at the gym with weights. I have up to 300 pounds of resistance bands so it can insane. And the bench can be changed around so that you get a bench press and squat work out.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Accent

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
Free weights chop up, because you get to train all the supporting muscles that are actually used when you make that movement in real life. When the kinematics of your movement are determined by machines or bands, it tends to artifically load up odd muscles. It's probably fine for bodybuilding, but not for strength training.

How do you replace squats, deadlifts, and bench presses with resistance bands anyway?

you stand on band and wrap them around bars or bench. its alot of fuss so i dont use them.